Chapter 14

Alyssa

My feet are swollen, my back hurts, my heart hurts, too many things are hurting. In this my ninth month of pregnancy I am sure now more than ever that I want to plop this baby out. My due date is next week April 24th and I hope that Elijah will make it back home in time.

I haven't seen him in like two months since he's been in Russia, and the only time I get to talk to him is at night over FaceTime. I understand though since he's working on something with his brothers but sometimes I just miss him.

Speaking too soon my phone rang and I answered it immediately since I expected the nightly call.

"Hey," I answered fixing my hair so that I looked somewhat presentable for him.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" He asked tucking an arm under his head.

I exhaled, "Well, I'm really tired plus I miss you."

"I miss you too, but I'll be home soon. I'm just finishing up before I take my paternity leave," he said and I laugh.

"What?" He asked and I could sense the hint of a smile on his lips.

"Just the way how you said it was funny. I'm sorry continue."

"Are you prepared in case you go into labour early?"

"Yup, the baby's bag is packed and so is mine, our doctor is on speed dial and the car is filled with gas and ready. My mother is coming to see me tomorrow so that's going to be a pain, even more than these cramps."

"You're still having cramps?" He asked looking concerned.

"Occasionally," I lied not wanting him to worry too much.

He looked at me warily probably catching onto my lie, "Alright, just be careful for me."

"Okay."

"I gotta go see you soon. Don't worry I'll be back in time for your birthday," he said and hung up after we told each other goodbye.

April the sixteenth was my twenty second birthday which was two days from now. Elijah was apparently doing something special for me at the house, mainly because I've never really celebrated my birthdays before.

~~~

After I had lunch, Guiseppe announced that my mother has arrived.

Did I mention that the staff is back? And that I'm also back in New York?

When Elijah returned to California he changed his mind about us living out there so we returned to New York the next day which worked in my favor.

My mother entered the house wearing a soft fabric white pants and a white camisole blouse with a blue cardigan over it. She held her handbag tight as she strutted in wearing her shades and blue heels clinking across the floor.

She removed her glasses once she reached me and gave me a once over before settling on the couch beside me.

I opened my mouth to say something but she held her hand up signaling me to stop.