Prom (part 1)

~Anthony's POV~

Here it is, prom season. I've been to many past proms and honestly i don't see what the big deal is. I really want to ask Kalel to go. But is it a good idea? I sit down with my 'friends' at the lunch table. Only three more weeks and i never have to see any of them again. "So guys, i've been thinking. What if this year we just skip prom?" Derek says.

"Yeah good idea." Kevin says. "What do you think Padilla?"

No prom? I mean i'm ok with it, but what about Kalel. "Um, why should we miss our last prom?" I asked.

"Because all of us are surprisingly single." Derek says.

"So, that's not going to stop me. Here, why don't we give each other names of girls to ask to prom. Kevin give me the name of a girl and i'll go ask her." Hey, maybe they'll say Kalel.

"Ok, Melanie." Kevin says.

Really? Melanie? Are these guys stupid? "Not her."

"Why not?" Derek asked.

"Because she's with Ian and they have a baby together. Despite the fact that it's Ian i still won't break the bro code. Here, think of a single girl, preferably someone who doesn't like us." I hope that didn't make it obvious.

"Well, the only girls who don't like us are in Ian's group but they're all taken."

"Actually that Kalel chick isn't." Derek says.

"Right. Anthony, you have to ask Kalel to prom." Yes! I can't believe that actually worked! "Now think of one for derek."

Oh i know who Derek can go with and he won't like it. "Alicia." I say

"What! Fuck no! She's nasty." He says.

"Hey, she's single, and i said so." I say.

"But she's both of yours' ex. She fucked both of you."

"Actually only Kevin. I refused to go further than second base."

"Dude! You dodged that one!" Derek says, high fiving me. "Sorry Kev."

"It's fine. Now Derek think of one for me." Kevin says. The bell rings and we all split. I met back up with them after school.

"So, who's Kevin going with?" I asked.

"Justine Ezarik." Derek says.

"That annoying sophmore who's obsessed with computers?"

"That's her." Kevin frowns.

"Ok, now all we have to do is ask them." Derek says.

"Yeah, and how about we do it in public so they can't say no. I think Kalel is going to be tough to crack if i just walk up to her and ask her." I say. I totally lied, i just want to surprise her.

"Hey, you know what else we should do?" Kevin says.

"What?" Derek says.

"We should all put our names in the ballot for prom queen and king, As a joke. I know no one is going to vote for us and our dates anyway."

"Eh, what the hell. Let's do it!" Derek says. "Hey Anthony, there's your date. Go and ask."

I look over and see Kalel at her locker. "Ok, fine. I'll do it now." Wait, how should i do it?

~Kalel's POV~

I was putting my binders in my backpack when Anthony approached me. "Hey Kalel."

"Hi." I say quietly. "What are you doing?"

"This." He grabs my wrist and brings is to the courtyard. He picks a rose out of the garden and leaves me standing there. He gets up onto a lunch table.