55. Cornered

Taylor

" Have you heard anything from Zayn?"

Harry stands at the stove and is cooking our dinner. We finally have another evening together and want to spend it relaxed - at least that's what I'm planning.

"Mmmh, that smells so good," I murmur in his ear and kiss his earlobe.

Lost in thought, he stirs the sauce and neither responds to my question nor to the touch.

"Well, would you mind answering my question?"

"What did you say?"

"I asked if you had heard from our neighbour again."

Harry shrugs and lowers his head and concentrates again on cooking.

"No, I didn't. Why do you ask?

The slight blush on his cheeks doesn't escaped my notice and neither does his defensive.

"And then why do you blush and are so taciturn?" I ask with interest.

My husband now takes some parsley and chops it carefully to avoid an answer. He always does that when he feels cornered. Then he gets wrapped up in all kinds of activities, only not to have to answer.

"Nonsense, it's just warm in here from cooking."

"Oh really? So it's too warm in here", I reply and tear open the terrace door to let in fresh air. If Harry is too warm... "Have you heard anything from Zayn or not?

Slowly I lose my patience.

"I already said no. Does Gigi want to know or do you want to know?" he answers annoyed.

Now he puts the knife away and looks seriously at my face. The curls are sticking to his forehead and his beautiful eyes are flashing.

"What are you getting at, Taylor?"

Shit, now he's figured it out. Gigi actually called me yesterday and wanted to know if there was any news from her husband. We are still in contact and even met for a cappuccino during a lunch break. Unfortunately I couldn't help her and promised to investigate. I believe that Harry is still in contact with him.

"Well..." I answer meekly.

"So I'm right. Gigi wants to make enquiries about him," he replies. "Why doesn't she just call Zayn? Does she needs you for that when it comes to her husband? I don't like that, Taylor. Are we in kindergarten or are we adults?" He grumbles and rolls his eyes. "Just like a woman."

 "Don't exaggerate, Haz. You know how delicate the subject is. She is longing for him because she still loves Zayn. Don't forget, he just broke up with her - from one day to the next - and said, that he doesn't love her anymore. Imagine her terrible situation", I defend her.

My husband turns back to the saucepan and puts the herbs in it. He just ignores me. Is he keeping something secret?