The Beginning Of My Fight

This story talks about violence and other elements that may be unsuitable for some people. Viewer discretion is advised.

Some call it a curse, others (usually the ones who didn't get dealt a good hand) call it a blessing, and then there are the ones that actually know what they are talking about; me for instance. I call it fate, not a coincidence.
   Not a blessing, not a curse, just fate.

   The ones who bare the rare, royal blood have the potential to become Heda, or in osleng,(English) Commander of the 12 Clans. It is a tradition dating back to the first commander, Becca Pramheda, who delivered us from death when the world ended from nuclear warfare.

Lexa says I look as if I could be Becca's twin; that I have her eyes and face. I wish I could see what she saw, see and relive the past commander's memories as she does.

    I say having Nightblood is fate, but my opinion may be biased, as it is something I was born to be.

    Ai laik Verena kom Trikru, (I am Verena from The tree clan) and I have the black blood of the commanders, and my sister Heda Lexa, is the Commander of the Coalition which united the 12 clans and saved them from never ending pain and war.

    Because of my blood, I never met my mother or father; they were both natblidas. (nightbloods) Shortly after I was born, the Commander was killed and the conclave began, a fight to the death of the ones who bare the blood, to be the last one standing and take the throne. All 6 natblidas that were above the age of 13 were called to fight to the death for the throne. My mother killed a natblida and my mother and father were then slain by my another Nightblood outside of our family, where he was then laid to rest by my sister, Lexa. Then there was two. Luna, my half sister and Lexa.

   Luna ran from the conclave, leaving Lexa to be crowned. Luna was eventually captured and was punished for her crimes. Before her death she told me "I didn't run from the conclave because I knew I would lose; I ran, because I knew I would win." Her words have stuck with me, even after all this time.

   Regardless, she betrayed the Commanders before her, a traitor and disgrace to the blood. Lexa was the last one standing.

   As a nightblood you are prepared and trained to take the throne. You are taught to fight, to lead, to be deceptive, taught gonasleng (English) and Trigedasleng and always do what is right for the people. Trained to be numb to everything except exactly that; their pain.

   By the age of 7, I knew how to take down a full grown warrior on my own with and without a weapon. When I was 9 I was granted my first kill, a gift from my sister.

    A man banished from all the lands that the Commanders rule was found in Polis. He was brought before my sister to decide his fate. She sentenced him to die, at my hand, in a conclave, a fight to the death. If he won, he would go free.

   Many people outside the reign of the commanders would have seen this as cruel, allowing the man she banished to be set free by the death of her own young sister, but I knew better than that.

   It was a test, one that would both prepare me for leadership and gain respect of the people.

   I know I should remember the fight, but all I remember was the cheers and the surge of power that flowed through my body. The whole thing went by in a blur. After all, fighting is a dance I learned as a child. Overtime, I didn't even have to think about what to do; my body twisted and dodged attacks and formed attacks on its own. That was years ago.

I sigh and trace the black ink embedded into my skin on my arm. I glance to the lace curtains that cover the balcony doors, through the curtains I can still see the glow of the stars against the night sky, as black as my blood.

My eyes grow heavy and I let them close. Numbness washes over me in waves of drowsiness slowly covers me. Exhaustion pulls me under. I don't fight it.

Hey thanks for reading! I'm just starting this and this is based off of a story I wrote for ELA a fan fiction based on the one hundred. In this book there is gonna be some elements such as violence and swearing so beware. I will try to put warnings before each one of what the passage includes but I apologize in advance if I forget. Once again thanks for reading and let me know if I can improve in anything!