[149] Mama Bird

WARNING: grab your tissues.

[ Real Life ]

"Where is she?"

Harry's eyes were red, face flushed, hair flying everywhere and blazer long forgotten and instead, in his black shirt and purple trousers, looking disheveled.

Jeff and Lou were with him, having had refused to let him drive and deal with this alone because God knows how Harry felt that moment.

Will stood up, approaching his sister's distraught husband, Kate and Nia both sitting and looking at the floor as they anxiously waited for news. "They had to perform a cesarean."

"Where are the twins?" Harry asked.

"They're at our house with the kids' nanny." Kate answered, looking up at him as she leaned back.

Harry plopped down on an empty seat, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. Another wave of tears hit Harry that he tried to suppress, Lou instantly rubbing his back soothingly as she sat beside him. "I-I don't get it," He croaked out, "What happened?"

"Nobody knows," Nia sighed, "She called Kate, crying, and told her to come because she thinks she lost the baby. She had already called the ambulance."

"Everything was going fine," Harry said in disbelief, "There weren't any difficulties. She didn't say there were any. She was taking her vitamins, eating well. I don't get it."

"Dr. Reina said she might have had placenta previa, which might have caused the bleeding." Kate said.

"And she couldn't tell that through the ultrasounds and checkups?" Harry spit out before taking a breath and leaning back on the wall.

As minutes passed, the hallway in the private floor you were in got filled with your family and friends, all looking disheveled and worried, empty cups of coffee lined inside the bin.

"Maybe the baby is still alive," Camilla said, looking at Charles before looking at Harry, "Why would they be taking so much time if it isn't?"

"God, I hope so." Your father breathed out, rubbing his temple.

"I hope she's okay," Harry said quietly, catching everyone's attention as they looked at him with sympathy, "She never wanted to deliver a baby like that—cesarean I mean."

"I think it doesn't matter now," Har sighed, crossing his arms, "As long as she and the baby are okay."

Only minutes later, your midwife came out, taking off her mask as everyone hurried towards her. "As of right now, the baby is alive," Everyone released a breath, "It's still critical. Her Highness wasn't due until another month, the baby's very small and needs a lot of care to be able to breathe on her own because her lungs haven't matured yet. We're doing our best and hoping for it."

"And Y/N? Is she okay?" Harry asked, eyes wide with worry.

"We gave her a drug which will let her sleep all night. She lost a lot of blood," She informed, "She was very shaken up and scared and just to advise you, this will affect her mental health. No woman would want to go through that, especially with no one with her."

Harry's stomach dropped, fingers reaching to pinch the bridge of his nose as he gulped.

Especially with no one with her.

"What caused this?" Meghan asked, squeezing her husband's hand in a supportive manner.

"It's common for women to have a troubled pregnancy the second time after they've had twins. Her Highness had placenta previa, which should've cured itself but it wasn't fully cured. We would've treated the bleeding after making sure that the baby was alive but the flow was heavy, the baby just wanted to get out. Natural birth would've put a risk on both Her Highness's and the baby's lives."