Chapter Twelve

"Come on." Jamie says, grabbing my hand before I can ask where, and dragging me into her room.

I hadn't ever seen it up close or been inside it before, but the aesthetic just screamed 'Jamie'.
Several notebooks were scattered on the desk and a few poetry books aligned on the shelf.
The only thing decorating her white walls was a large poster of Shakira.

I laugh.
"I never pictured you as a Shakira fan."

She arches an eyebrow.
"Well not that it makes a difference, but you realize I'm part Colombian, correct?"

I shrug.
"I mean I guess but I never payed attention to it."

She rolls her eyes playfully and sits down on her messy bed.
I wander over to her desk and let my fingers run over the covers of the many books scattered there.

"What are all these?"

"Some are sketchbooks, some are poetry books, and some are a mixture of both."

I nod, lifting up a large black book.
"You mind?"

She shrugs.
"Go for it."

I flop down on the bed beside her and flip it open.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but this surely wasn't it. The drawings look amazing, professional even.

"Damn JJ. You never told me you could draw." I compliment.

She laughs.
"They're just sketches I do when I get bored. It's nothing special."

"Yeah right." I scoff
"Seriously these are great."

"Thanks Matty."

I roll my eyes, faking annoyance, and flip through more of the pages.
My eyes stop to pause on a page near the back of the book.

I swallow.
"When did you do this?"

She leans over to look at the picture I'm holding.

It's a drawing of Nate and I. We're placed under a large tree, similar to the one in the courtyard. I'm laughing at him, but my head is tilted down shyly. Nate is grinning his usual confident, playful smirk and his gaze is trained on me. The drawing in itself is gorgeous and my fingertips unconsciously begin to brush over the light pencil marks, admiring it.

"Okay please don't think I'm a freak! That day I had to leave you guys alone for my check-in, I had to go to the bathroom and I saw you two through the glass in the hall. I just thought it was cute." She explains nervously, speaking faster than I've ever heard her speak before.

"Jamie. Two things." I speak, calmly.

She cringes lightly, probably expecting me to be weirded out or yell, but nods anyway, signaling me to continue.

I hold up one finger.
"One. Chill the hell out." I laugh.

She visibly relaxes and laughs along with me.
"And number two?" She asks.

I add another finger.
"Two. I love this drawing, a lot."

She smiles, blushing cutely.
"Thank you. I'm glad you liked it."

I close the book and place it gently back on the desk.

"Hey speaking of Nate, do you know if he and Spencer have a history or something?"

She shakes her head.
"I was wondering about that too. Nate never mentioned anything about him to me."

I nod.
"I'll ask Spencer tomorrow during free hour or something. Maybe he'll tell me, I don't know."

"Good. Because if you didn't, I was gonna call Nate and force it out of him."

I laugh and shake my head at her.
"You're too nosy for your own good Jamie Anne Summers."

She sticks her tongue out at me, childishly.
"And you're too attached to get rid of me Matthew Tyler Daniels."

"Fair enough."

I lean back against her mattress, staring up at the plain ceiling.
"You're so brave and quiet, I forget you are suffering."

She leans back beside me, turning her head to the side.
"Are you really quoting Hemingway to me right now?" She giggles.

"It seemed fitting."

"Yeah I guess it is." She agrees.
"You never know how fucked up someone is until you get inside their head."

"Yeah. I guess that's true." I hum, letting my eyes rest.

"Yeah." She repeats.
"It is."