Chapter Thirty Seven

SATURDAY
(SMUT WARNING AHEAD)

I chew on my thumb nail as I stare down at the strange number on my phone. I know I need to go ahead and get it over with, but it's also the last thing I'd rather do. 
I finally decide that it would be better to go ahead and get it done, and click the green call button, pressing the ringing phone to my ear. 

It takes all of two rings before I hear him pick up the other line.
"Hello?"

I sigh.
"Hey. It's Matt." 

"Oh. Hi." His voice sounds surprised. I can't blame him for that though, I'm surprised that I'm actually going through with speaking to him again. 

"I just wanted to call and apologize for punching you. That was out of line and I'm sorry." I rush. 

He coughs lightly into the receiver and clears his throat. 
"I had it coming."

"Yeah you did. But I still shouldn't have done it."

"There's still no chance you would give me another chance to explain everything, is there?" 

I rub my eyes in frustration. I should have known he would ask that. Mom told me yesterday that all I had to do was apologize and I could be done. Part of me really wants to hear what he has to say for himself, and the other part couldn't care less. 

"You still there?" He asks. 

"Yeah, I'm here." I mumble. 

"What do you say? I'm still in town for a a little while longer. I just want to explain so you can understand where I'm coming from."

I sigh.
"Fine."

I can practically see him smile through the phone and I resist the urge to roll my eyes.
"I can meet you at your mom's house in a few hours." 

"As long as you're gone before she gets back from her shift. Seeing you will only upset her." 

"Okay." He agrees hurriedly. 

"Bye."

I don't bother waiting for a response and hang up the phone. I'm already regretting agreeing to let him come here. The last thing mom needs right now is to see him after all this time. 

My thumb scrolls down my contacts list and lands on the one name that never fails to make me smile, pressing the call button. 

"Hey, pretty boy." 

I grin at the sound of his voice.
"Hi." 

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" He teases. 

"I wanted to call and see if you and Jamie wanted to come hang out over here for a bit. Mom's working her shift and I'm lonely."

"My mom took Jamie out for a girls day. But I'll be there soon."

"Okay." 

He hangs up the phone and there's nothing I can do to stop the stupid grin that covers my face as I stare down at his contact photo on my phone. He had his head laying down in my lap while we were all sitting outside a couple days ago. I stole his phone and managed to snap the picture as he was laughing at something Jamie had said. His eyes were squeezed shut and his dimples her extremely prominent. I made sure to text it to myself for later. He looked so beautiful. Then again, he always does. 

I send him a quick text. 
'Front door is unlocked. Let yourself in, I'm in my room.' 

I almost change my mind before sending the text, but I'm too lazy to get up right now. My bed is a lot more comfortable than the one at the hospital. He texts me back with a short 'ok', and I click my phone back off, sitting it down on the nightstand beside me and curling into my warm sheets. My eyes instinctively close in sleepiness as my head rests back onto my pillow.