⊰6⊱

🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕

"Thank you for your hospitality..." my voice is even, though my attention is more so on Princess Edith as she lifts her chin, holding her head high beside me.

Luna Teri and Alpha Bryson hold a solemn expression, each looking to each other while Alpha Brayden nods his head. He nods at Bryant, standing in front of his parents, watching as he walks toward Princess Edith, lifting his gaze as he says, "I'm sorry."

Furrowing my brows, I don't understand why he's apologizing. Nothing that transpired here was ever his fault, though it becomes apparent that the pup is an advocate for both packs. It's easier to forgive an innocent, then hold aggression to those who you trusted the life of another in their hands.

Though, it's obvious how Princess Edith has been raised, especially when her response comes as, "We don't look back. We move forward and forgive what is not within our power to control."

My jaw becomes slack at her words, genuinely in awe of the argumentative pup I've hardly known for more than a couple days...demonstrating what she's learned not within the traditional pack setting, but by those who have raised her to be what she is...or royal descent and acting accordingly.

There's hope yet for our future if Dot and Princess Edith are any representation of what this lineage leads to.

Bryant's soft smile is not something anyone would expect, but the packs agree with Princess Edith...and they know nothing of who she truly is. Two pack members of Alpha Brayden's come forward, handing Princess Edith a child-sized backpack, while I also take one with a slight nod.

"Provisions for your travels," Alpha Brayden tells us. He pauses a moment and asks me, "Will you..." his voice trails off and I understand what he means.

"Edith speaks for the both of us," I reply, Princess Edith's gaze growing wide with shock as her features light up and look to mine. I glance down at her and affirm, "From the mouth of a pup..." I lift my gaze and lock stares with Alpha Brayden, "we move forward and don't look back."

Alpha Brayden breathes out a sigh of relief. I don't want to make enemies and Alpha Brayden lost more than I did...

"Farewell," I nod and turn away, hearing others say their goodbyes to Princess Edith and I. Heading back down the trail to the landscape we'd traveled once before, ending in Alpha Brayden's territory, we leave everything behind and route back toward the north and Castle Starr...I guess, Valentine...

Princess Edith's hand slowly works its way into mine, feeling her close. I glance down and her features are unreadable...distant. She doesn't look to me, though I'm sure she's getting whatever comfort she's seeking by my touch.

When we stop to have lunch, I sit on one of the fallen logs of the forest around us. Princess Edith sits on the same one, though at the edge, her arms crossed as she holds herself. Eating half a sandwich, I see she's not eating anything.

"Are you not hungry?" I question.

She shrugs her shoulders and I glance away, going back to eating...

...though I nearly choke on a mouthful when she snaps suddenly after a few minutes pass, "Aren't you going to ask me what's wrong?!"

After swallowing, I cough and ask, "Okay...what's wrong?"

Princess Edith gives me a sideways glance and barks back, "I don't want to talk about it!"

For the Moon Goddess' sake!

Arching a brow, I reply with a question, "Okay...sorry I asked?"

She shrugs her backpack off and drops it near the log, bursting into tears as her sobs are louder than a snoring wolf.