⊰39⊱

"Y-You can't be serious," I'm saying those words, though it feels like I'm looking on from afar.

Dot stares hard at me, stating, "I don't want to...I love you, bu-"

I shake my head, "No," the walls I broke down, repairing them over this short time, it's what I need to reinforce, "you don't threaten someone you love."

Setting the Lycan amulet away, I turn away from them both. Princess Edith screams for me when I take a step away, "Merle!" It hurts, beneath the surface of an unaltered set of emotions no longer able to reflect on my features.

I'm not going to stand here and watch her pain.

Merle?

I don't want to shut Wyn out, though I'm no longer left with that luxury of choice.

I continue to walk back the path we took, hearing off in the distance sounds that make my stomach churn. It's hard, each step feels like I'm sinking in quicksand, though I press forward until I pass the opening of the fireplace.

Vexy is lounged out on a cough, glancing at me briefly before I rest my gaze on Wyn. He walks back and forth near Luna Fayre and Eli. Drinks are on the table, though I scoff and glance away. Some hospitality this turned out to be.

A safe place for us?

Yes. At what cost though?

If Princess Edith was my daughter, I—

The air catches in my lungs. It's only now, while I stand here silently, do I come to terms with the way I've been protecting her...

...as my own.

"Merle?" Wyn asks and I shake my head.

"Where are our rooms for the night?" I direct this question to Luna Fayre.

She nods and says, "Follow me," she walks away from Eli, past Wyn. When he doesn't follow, she asks, "Are you waiting for your mate?"

Wyn looks to me and hesitates, before he nods, "Yeah, I want to make sure she's okay after having to put her sister through this..."

How touching.

Care for Dot, of course. She comes first.

Please, tell me what's wrong?

Everything.

It's the one word that slips past my thoughts before I barricade myself within my mind. Eli stands with Wyn, comforting him while Vexy flips off the couch and sighs, "So dreary this night has become." She follows along with me, keeping a slight distance as Luna Fayre leads us to our rooms.

It's two floors up before she halts at a door. She opens the door inward and says, "This is the largest guest room we have, you and your mates will have enough sp-"

"I'd like my own room," I cut her off.

Her eyes hold curiosity as she nods and then directs my attention to the room right across. After shutting the first door, she opens the next and says, "I hope you find this to your liking."

"It will do, thanks," I'm short with her. I don't mean to be, I just can't flip the switch off any longer without jeopardizing everything else.

As Luna Fayre walks away, Vexy sighs and leans against the wall, "Where am I to stay?"

Luna Fayre looks her over before she states, "Did you want your own room?"

"Do I look like a pack animal?" Vexy grins wide with her sharp teeth and Luna Fayre nods, quickly showing her to a separate room at the end of the hallway.