⊰11⊱

🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕

"Oh, my Goddess!" Princess Edith squeals as she jumps up and down on my bed. I follow her with my gaze, and I'm sure my head is about to be in a continuous state of nodding. Shaking my head, I watch as she finally settles down, rushing off the bed and past me to the window. She gapes and asks, "Are they here yet?"

"No," I reply, watching her as she looks out the window with excitement, "at some point today."

Princess Edith squeals again and holds the windowsill, bouncing off the floor, "Christmas Eve and I get to see my-"

"I wouldn't get too excited," I warn her, not wanting to build her expectations any higher. I bring her down to Earth as I state, "They don't know you."

Her bottom lip trembles, "But...Dot would have told them I'm her sister! Right?" She's hesitant at the end, questioning her own judgment.

I shrug my shoulders, "Since Alpha Keir and Luna Laura do not know exactly who you are, your name not ringing a bell...I assume that no one knows. It's not the brightest idea going around everywhere letting people know that you are Dot's sister."

Steam blows from her ears as she stomps her foot, "Why not?!"

"Have you forgotten already what I told you?" I tilt my head to the side, releasing a sigh.

Princess Edith's features fall, a crease forming on her brow before she wraps her arms around herself.

I nod and reaffirm, "Dot is in Elysium...her sentence..."

"It's not fair!" Princess Edith cries, lifting her chin. Her cheeks are red as she starts to cry, "She didn't do anything! She couldn't have done something to be there! It's. Not. FAIR!"

Breathing out calmly, I cross the distance to her. She looks up at me with worry, but I kneel before her. Resting my hands on her shoulders, I tell her gently, "Life isn't fair," I don't want to tell her what Wyn explained to me...that Dot crossed Rose somehow, enough to warrant and protect the lives of her children by locking Dot away until they're of age.

He hasn't explained exactly what she did...

...an answer I hope to salvage today in an organic setting.

I look at her hard and continue, "If we go around, telling everyone we know that you are Dot's sister, they might take the wrong impression."

"It's only helped us so far!" She retorts, glaring at me, "We almost died until I mentioned her name at Alpha Brayden's!"

True.

Princess Edith can't help herself; she can't control her emotions. The floodgates open, tears falling down her cheeks as she chokes on sobs, "I-I...wa-want t-to ha-have m-y si-sis-ter."

"I know," I reassure her, though she nearly knocks me off balance as she moves forward and into my chest. She buries her face into my shirt, my arms slowly wrapping around her as I whisper, "We were lucky, but if anyone surrounding Rose constantly should not be taken lightly. We should assume they side with her choice and not involve you unless need be, okay?"

Princess Edith slowly nods her head, lifting her chin as we both hear a knock on the door. I know it's Wyn...

...but my princess needs me.

"Just a moment," I call, the response from Wyn is nonverbal, waiting patiently. As I look Princess Edith over, I ask her, "Are you okay now?"

She shakes her head.

This is too much to put on a five-year-old. I pity her as this isn't meant to be her childhood. Slowly, she parts her lips and whispers, "Can I sleep with you tonight?"