⊰19⊱

🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕

Little thief...

...however, I won't play into whatever game this is.

As Princess Edith goes to follow the young vampire, I reach out quickly and grasp the top of her shoulder, pulling her back and close to me. She looks up at me, tears in her eyes as she exclaims, "Get her!"

"No," I reply, Princess Edith's mouth hanging open.

I lower myself to her eye-level and explain, "Stealing isn't common in Ekarith. She could easily be a bait and attempting to lure us to a trap. I won't risk our lives over something so small, especially," I lift my chin as Princess Edith goes to argue, "when I can get you another one, okay?"

Princess Edith has tears in her eyes, though she slowly rubs her face and nods, more than likely not wanting to make herself cry by speaking. We return to the faerie merchant and we agree upon another deal with my blood, exchanging as before for another Fae Stone, though this one is crafted from sapphire.

As Princess Edith holds it in her hands, she grumbles, "It's not as pretty."

"It works the same," I remind her, reaching the food vendor stalls and combing through the many sales.

"Bu-"

It happens almost again when we reach the furthest stalls, away from most of the other customers...

...almost.

I'm ready this time, my guard up as I quickly spin around and grasp the back of the young vampire's neck as she tries to whizz right by us again. I catch her before she can come close to Princess Edith, an exhale sharply leaving her lips when I pin her face forward into the ground. She attempts to lift her arms, though I quickly, pin them at the small of her back beneath my knee.

I hiss close to the young vampire's ear, "Why are you stealing from us?"

"I-I," she stammers, hearing a small cry leave her lips as I apply greater pressure to her lower back with my knee.

Princess Edith stands next to me, fear in her eyes as she looks from me and then to the young vampire. She finally cries out, "HELP!"

No one comes to help her, as everyone had seen...she's on her own.

"I'll ask nicely once more," I apply pressure once more and she nearly screams, "why are you stealing from us?"

She's in tears as she finally tells me, "I-I'm n-not all-lowed F-Fae S-Stones...I...I ne-ed th-them," she pleads with me, though I'm still in confusion of why she doesn't just exchange her blood for them as I have.

"Buy them," I retort, rising to my feet and dragging her to hers as well. I grasp her upper right arm, forcing her to face me as I analyze her features. She belongs to a coven, that much is easy to read by the crest she has on her necklace, though I've never seen it before.

She shakes her head and tells me, "I-I'm n-not all-lowed t-to," she pauses as she's still terrified, "m-my p-pa-rents...wo-n't l-let m-e."

For good reason, if you don't know how to make deals with faeries or other creatures for that matter. However, I question, "Why do you need the Fae Stones?"

She lowers her gaze, tears falling down her cheeks.

I assume the faerie merchant doesn't acquire much business within Ekarith, now that I think about it...

...were we someone she was looking for to acquire the stones for her?

If that's the case, why didn't she just ask?