⊰20⊱

🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕

"I-I'm so sorry!" Princess Edith blurts out as the nekojin walks toward us, closing the distance quite quickly.

"Sorry?" The nekojin halts and furrows her brows, arching one a second later, "I wanted to thank you, for what you did," she turns her gaze away from Princess Edith and then holds mine.

I nod and reply, "The pup didn't know, so for that, I do humbly apologize for what could have turned into a life or death situation back there."

The nekojin suddenly crouches right in front of Princess Edith, eye level. A gasp leaves Princess Edith's lips as the nekojin drops her glamour guard for a second, smiling gently and replying, "In a perfect world, I would assume you'd understand...but I know you don't."

"You are so pretty," Princess Edith stares on at her in complete awe, though a second later, she looks up at me, tilting her head to the side, "hey...just a wait a second, I thought cats and dogs don't get along?"

The nekojin's glamour is back in place, even that small slip could have jeopardized her...though she respects and trusts us enough to reveal her true nature beyond that of a Fae Stone. The nekojin giggles lightly and shakes her head, "No, you'd be wrong...I believe you are confusing me with a kitsune."

A crease forms on my brow at the mere mention...

Straying away from the subject, I ask her, "Are you local to Ekarith?"

She lifts her gaze to me and nods, "I've been given sanctuary by a hybrid Alpha that has claimed territory enough for his pack and coven. I'm thankful for the small space I've been granted, an absolute blessing..." her voice trails off as I can see the awe and respect, she has for the one that's taken her in.

Furrowing my brows, I question, "Do you know Katia?" It seems logical it might be the very same she was describing earlier.

"Of her? Yes, not personally though," the nekojin releases a sigh and states, "all I know, is that she's not allowed near the faerie vendors. Her father has strict orders against her presence there, though she tries, and tries...what she's looking for, I'm not sure if it can be found."

That's heartbreaking.

The nekojin suddenly exclaims, "Oh, I'm very sorry, how rude of me," she extends her arm and introduces herself, "my name is Mai."

She doesn't have a surname...

...I wonder if her parents were killed when she was young.

"Alpha Merle," I shake her hand and as she shakes Princess Edith's next, I inform her, "this is my little sister, Edith."

Mai smiles and tells us both, "If you are ever in the area, you are welcome to visit."

I nod and tell her, "We need to be going, for now, I-"

"Oh! Before I forget!" Mai quickly withdraws from behind her, seemingly out of thin air, a basket of strawberries. Princess Edith's features lift as she gasps, Mai telling her, "Please take these free of charge," she tilts her head to the side and smiles brightly.

Princess Edith takes the basket from Mai and tells her, "Thank you so much! Strawberries are my favorite!"

Mai giggles and says, "Mine too! In that case," she glances to me, "you'll have to come to see me. My largest garden is strawberries, and I'd love to be able to repay your kindness."

"You already have," I affirm, not wanting her to believe she owes us a debt.

As we part ways, Mai heading back toward her vendor stall, while we walk the rest of the way down the side street and out onto another, Princess Edith holds the basket close to her chest. She licks her lips and says, "They look so yummy!"