⊰22⊱

"I..." Wyn's voice trails off as he sighs and shakes his head, "...how did you decide that?"

Wyn and I walk alongside one another, away from Alpha Keir's territory, away from Princess Edith, away from...everything. My heart still pounds hard in my chest, my mind torn between my feelings and duty.

"Alphas must make the hard decisions that others cannot," my response is almost void and vacant, automated in a way as I fight down the need to turn around and rush to Princess Edith.

Wyn nods and states, "That definitely wasn't easy by any means...she'll be okay though...right?"

I pray to the Moon Goddess for her protection of my princess.

"Morpheus assured us," I reply, shrugging my shoulders, "we shouldn't worry-"

"Then why are you worrying?" Wyn steps in front of me and I nearly knock into him. His hands lift and touch my pecs, pressing me back as I halt suddenly. My eyes meet with his, then glance away rather quickly.

My voice is low, "I..."

Wyn's touch is gentle as he rests against my cheek. Warmth spreads slowly and soothingly as my gaze travels back to his. He tells me, "I feel the uncertainty you harbor within you...I'm here, please, lean on me, it's okay."

"That's too much to put on anyone," I move away from his touch slowly, not wanting to shatter this moment. I can't help it though and I revert inward of who I am...of what I've done, what my emotions have caused through the actions of others. Just one slip up, just one, and everything comes tumbling down. I'll always have this fear, worry, anxiety that everything I'm doing isn't enough...

...it'll never be enough.

His eyes widen briefly at my quick distance, a wall slowly reinforcing. It stacks strongly between us, his eyes searching mine as my features become unmoving; growing...

...cold.

"I will protect you. I promise," I nod, breathing out slowly.

Wyn's features flicker, down casting his eyes to the ground as he murmurs, "Who will protect you?"

I don't know...

I pretend I don't hear him, lifting my chin as I set back our course of action. Wyn wants to speak with Rose before we head into Elysium. Regardless of what I've told him, how it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission and still break the law after final judgment has been passed...Wyn believes in his queen. I hear him out, taking his opinion to heart and because he is my mate is the only reason we are heading directly toward the heart of this world.

Castle Valentine looms in the distance, the bitter chill of winter long gone as I can feel the summer air around us. Everything looks different once the snow has melted and the Earth appears rejuvenated.

With the shift in time...

...Queen Acacia will be about fourteen.

We've missed so much time...wasted it away...

What's happened in that timeframe?

Will I understand anything of the time correspondence trivial things that are current events happening?

"Merle?" Wyn asks gently.

"Yes?" I reply, taking strides with him as we approach the doors to the castle.

Wyn breathes out slowly, "Do you think this will work?"

"If I give you my opinion..." my voice trails off, lifting my arm as I knock on the door with my fist, "...I'm afraid I'll offend you."