⊰37⊱

"That trick never gets old!" Princess Edith grins as we appear near the trading city of Ekarith, though far enough away we won't draw attention from the guards at the gates.

While I stash the stone away after recollecting, Kat looks on and sighs as we stand near the forest nearby, "This place has never seen this high of security before..." as her voice trails off, she lowers her head, "...it's putting everyone on edge."

"Kat, how old are you?" Dot tilts her head to the side, Wyn standing next to her as they also observe the guards.

Kay glances at her and states, "I'm eighteen. Cypher and I are the same age."

"That's what I thought," Dot nods, affirming whatever it is she's working behind those eyes. She glances to me and says, "Acacia is fourteen for certain." Even I wasn't entirely sure, just rounding, though I'd come to that conclusion as well. After she pauses a moment, she releases a sigh, "We'll be lucky if-"

"Princess Acacia?" Kat asks with confusion. She looks Dot over and asks, "What's wrong?"

Dot says nothing, though I see the fight brewing between her inner self, and I notice then how Vexy nears her. She's airy in her movements, watching Dot carefully before Dot finally tells Kat, "Nothing. There's more at stake to our world than the trivial qualms between species...and placement."

"We should move," I eye the city, a rather chilling feeling emanating from it that I've not felt in a while, "I don't like this."

Wyn nods, "Merle's right," he asks Kat, "how far are we from your pack and coven?"

Kay shakes her head, "Not far," she waves her hand at us as she begins to walk through the trees, heading further into the dense forest. Princess Edith releases Wyn's hand and quickly catches up ahead to Kat.

Wyn has this look on his face, shock.

Don't feel too bad.

As I connect with him, he glances at me before we follow the girls.

They all grow up eventually.

I was enjoying the time with her!

Wyn exasperates to me and I can't help but chuckle. It's funny how he's adopted Princess Edith as his sister-in-law, though treats her as his pup. My footsteps are slow while Wyn and Dot continue walking. I stand still, staring at the ground.

"Merle?" Dot asks after a few moments, halting her movements as she glances back at me.

I shake my head, "It's okay." Continuing walking, I can't stop thinking...all of this, everything and the memories, bonds we are creating not just in the mate respects, but even knowing Princess Edith...

...they will cease to exist once they are gone from this era as they are.

The bridge of my nose stings.

Therefore, I shouldn't have gotten attached, to either of them. I can't keep feeling the way I do toward them, otherwise, it'll just be more painful in the end and I don't think I'd be able to handle that.

I feel the walls slowly rebuilding, that callus feeling returning beneath my skin.

Observing Vexy, she lingers around Dot, doing well to keep her proximity at bay, though I don't understand...

Slowly, I catch the scent of patrolling wolves nearby, though they keep their distance and grow disinterested shortly while we keep moving toward the clearing up ahead.

When we reach the tree line, Kat stops and smiles, waving at...nothing?

A second later, I inhale sharply as I see a large mansion type building come into view, almost as if a veil has come down.