⊰25⊱

"Y-You did it..." Wyn's voice holds wonder, his gaze resting on Dot.

Lifting Princess Edith's feet off the grass, I hold her close, telling Wyn, "We need to move," after a quick pause, Wyn nods and I continue, "get Dot and follow close to me. Do not speak to anyone, do you understand?"

Wyn furrows his brows, his lips part to speak, though he holds his tongue and nods. My heart beats fast...watching as he lifts Dot into his arms, a soft exhale audibly leaving her lips. Glancing away, I breathe out calmly, Wyn halting next to me before we both look up to the open passage of the walled city.

The air is thick, Wyn connecting with me, why does it feel like there's a weight on my chest? It's...suffocating.

The magic that protects and shields Antarith beyond that of a glamour, it's powerful and with that, the residue left behind is harder to grow accustomed to in a quick manner. It won't be an issue in time, I promise.

Leading the way through the passage, I lead Wyn toward the anchorage...this is the intake area that father brought me to when we first arrived. Though it was only a single visit, the memories are vivid of the stark contrasting difference between this hidden city and the rest of the world. I assume, if anything, perhaps this is the closest to stepping beyond the veil without doing so.

There are many individuals out, some gathered in groups near two of the four central taverns and bars. Keeping my eyes averted, for the most part, Wyn is nearly tripping over the back of my feet, his heartrate undeniably reflecting his uncertainties and fears.

It will be alright, I promise.

My attempt at soothing him hardly does anything. He's never seen the true darkness of this world...

...where did he think those long-forgotten go?

Sure, before the Code of Conduct, rogues ran completely on their own. Even just a few years after...some, especially wolves, will always remain lone and not take advantages that this city holds. I can hardly blame them though because if you don't even know this place exists, how do you run and find it?

My gaze lands on the open door to the anchorage, breathing in and out slowly.

Oh, that's right...because most of those here are connected and tied to magic in some shape or form. Worlds hidden within the world; there is a reason species survived as long as they did during the reign of the council.

Merle...I don't like this place...I...

His thoughts are incoherent.

Trust in me.

His gaze shifts and holds mine, nodding slightly before I approach the open door. Heading inside, there are many different sectioned off areas, however, the middle aisle takes us toward the head of the anchorage. I remember their features, the kitsune that sit next to one another while they both sort out large ledger books bound by...

...I'm one hundred percent sure that is human flesh.

His emerald irises...vertical pupils...they lift and search over both Wyn and me, though it's almost like he double-takes. His gaze lands on me, his brows furrowing as he finally questions, "Is that young Merle Callender before his time?"

My eyes widen in complete shock.

My heart stops in my chest.

My mouth is dry, my grip becoming slack on Princess Edith. It's enough that I almost fall to my knees, the shocked expression on my features beheld by everyone.

"I-" the knot rises into my throat and I feel like I can't breathe.

How does he know you? How?!