Who Are You?

The picture to the side or above is of the nameless man

Nothing. There was no one in the bathroom.

"Now I feel stupid," I reply with relief.

"No you're not stupid. I heard it too," Ethan replies.

"This is even better. Like killing two birds with one stone," a masculine voice says behind us. We turn around so fast, my heart beating like a drum. I put up my shield right away and mind-link all the guards, plus my mom, dad, and Laura.

The man standing before us is so unfamiliar and familiar at the same. I look at him with confusion. My shield starts to go down slowly inch by inch. "Who are you?" I ask with venom in my tone. 'I have no idea how powerful this man is. I need all the power I can get' I mind-link Ethan, 'my mom was right about even the castle not being safe'

"I can hear your thoughts you know," the man replies, ignoring my question, "and I'm sorry to say, but they'll be here too late." He gives me an evil smirk. I can't tell Ethan my plan or he'll stop us before we even begin. The shield is already halfway down so I let it go completely. I grab Ethan's hand and teleport us as far as we can get away from him. As we land on some random street somewhere in the world or another dimension, realization comes to my mind.

"Ethan my mom wasn't in the castle when I went to your room. That man impersonated her when I got mind-linked."

"What are you talking about?" Ethan asks.

"This was all a trap. I shouldn't have went in your room," I say, mentally slapping myself. Then another thing dawned on me.

"How do I know you're not him?" I ask, with doubt in my voice.

"Mel you know it's me," Ethan says, feigning confusion, "remember we were holding hands when you teleported us out." I let go of his hand right then.

"You're not Ethan. What did you do to Ethan?" I demand, not letting my fear show.

"Yes Mel, I am. What makes you think I'm not?"

Ethan wouldn't ask that question. He wouldn't make me doubt myself.

'Mel! I'm still at the castle! Get away from him!' Ethan mind-links me.

'How do I know you're really Ethan?'

'Think of me. Conjure me.' I picture Ethan standing next to me. He appears right in that spot. The imposter growls. Ethan embraces me.

"And here I thought I killed you," he says, "I guess the fun is over now. Time to do this the hard way. " In a flash he turns back to his original self and is at my neck with a dagger. Ethan growls and before he could move, the man presses the dagger against my neck. I gasp in pain. This is not good.

"Nah ah ah, if you move I'll slit her throat. And that wouldn't be very good for you would it?" He asks and turns to me. How could the street be deserted at this time?

"Mel what's he talking about? I know he means more than what he's saying," Ethan asks, confusion and hurt written on his face.

"Awww, she didn't want you to worry," the man says sarcastically. I seriously want to kill him. "This is the type of relationship kids have these days." He sighs as if we're a huge disappointment. "Well I'm going to elaborate."

"Please. Don't, " I beg, tears coming to my eyes. Ethan can't know about this. He can't know the bad things about being a healer. The man pushes the dagger into my neck. I could feel blood trickling down my neck. Ethan stands there, having the pain of not being able to do anything.

"Don't hurt her," he begs.

"This is fun to watch." He then moves the dagger to my stomach. I try to teleport Ethan out of there, but my magic won't work. I try every form of magic and defense, but it won't work. I'm paralyzed as if he's using magic to keep me there. I guess training was pointless. He then proceeds to draw a line of blood, ripping my shirt in the process. I cry out with pain and drop on my hands and knees on the ground.