Game On

This story is all fictional, the people, events, and plot. Based on some comments I'd like to point out now that you won't necessarily like Ian in the beginning, he is suppose to be rude, egotistical, an ass, he will develop. And that there will be real topics, such as assault, misogyny, and how people represent themselves. So please shy away if you do not like these things being discussed. I hope you enjoy!
———————————

"Dad, I promise I'll be fine," I tell my father through the phone that I currently held between my ear and shoulder as I unpack my bags.

"Are you positive? You can come home anytime," he tells me, his voice eager. I huff standing up straight and dropping whatever was in my hands.

"I'm positive, I'm only two hours away," I remind him. My father was very overprotective and now that I've moved into my own apartment in Seattle, he hasn't stopped calling me since I left our front porch. It's like he hasn't left my side. I love the man, but he was so overbearing at times.

"I know, honeycomb. Just call if you need anything, Anthony and I will always be here," he says referring to his new husband. I could hear the sadness in his tone, I give a small smile even though he can't see it.

"I know, I love you," I tell him.

"I love you too," he says and I hang up, throwing my phone on the bed that was bombarded with my clothes. Men are right on one thing, some women buy too many clothes. I didn't wear half of this stuff.

"This is going to take awhile," I mutter to myself. But maybe coffee would be nice. If I'm going to finish unpacking, I'm going to need a lot of caffeine. Coffee helps, right? I'm totally not procrastinating.

I leave the mess and grab my apartment keys from the counter that has boxes covering it, only reminding me I still had a lot of unpacking to do. Ugh.

Seattle was new to me. It was busy, crowded, and had quaint little shops that I'd never heard of before. The people were eccentric, it was different compared to my hometown. Sure I'd visited, but it's totally different living here 24/7.

Back home people were, well to put it simply, bland. Small town, same old talk about the same old people. I had to get out, as much as I loved my family and friends.

I walk along a cracked sidewalk, passing by a flower shop that had a stand, selling various colored roses. I liked it here so far, it was refreshing, the people were different somehow, or maybe it was because I was new. Either way, it was better.

I find a cute little coffee shop called Marnie's. I open the door that signals a bell to ring, the flooring was a dark wood that contrasted with the emerald green and gold interior of the shop.

Only two other people are inside, I look behind the counter finding a brunette, curvy older woman. Her eyes green, matching the interior color, and had a homey sense to her. Her hands rest on her hips as she over looked the shop, checking that everything's in order.

I walk up to the counter, she turns to me giving me a warm smile.

"How can I help you, sweetie?" She asks with a small accent. I look at the menu on the wall.

"Can I get a mocha?" I ask, she nods, "Ella!" She shouts, a younger woman around my age walks out, she was slim, her hair stopped at her shoulders and was a light blonde. She had a pixie look to her.

"Make a mocha," she demands to the young blonde who rolls her eyes but does as she says.

"You're not from here, are you?" She asks looking at me. I shake my head in response, was it that obvious?

"No ma'am, just moved in to the apartment complex around the corner," I tell her, she chuckles and smiles.

"No need to call me ma'am, I'm Jill," she extends her hand that was decorated with gold rings.