Athanasius

"Oh. She's that baron's adoptive daughter, right?"

Ramir, noticing the conspicuous and very rare pink hair of the lady, asked before turning to his sister that seemed to grow roots on her spot. "Adira?"

However, his little sister did not move nor respond. She just trained her eyes on the newcomer with uncanny wintery gaze.

He lightly pressed his free hand on her and flinched slightly at the coldness of her skin under his touch.

He wasn't sure if it was because of the cold weather outside and the fact that she wore such little clothing— since her shoulders were too bare... And yes! That's already too little to me for my dear Adira!— or something else.

He, very gently, squeezed her to snap her back into focus and fortunately succeeded when he saw color slowly returning to her pale cheeks before she smiled at him. Attempting to reassure him that she was fine.

"Are you cold? You look very pale." Ramir's voice was coated with concern for his lovely sister's health.

She was healthy, yes, but you can never be too sure. Don't call me overprotective! A whole of you can't even compare to half of my beautiful Adira!

Shaking her head gently, Adira redirected her gaze to her front after answering, "I'm fine, brother." and resumed to ascending up the stairs while still vaguely aware of the presence behind her.

She may have forgotten that they were close in age, but she'll never forget how she wormed her way up her status and successfully snatched her man right under her nose.

She'll never forget how the pain from her sword impaling her could never drown out the pain of his betrayal to her love and the pain of always being the odd one out of their awkward triangle.

She was the fiancee, the wife, and the Queen, yet she was pushed aside just like that from just a couple of sweet talk from a sweet, cute and beautiful lady like her.

Come to think of it, why do I feel as if I've missed something very important?

Adira thought to herself while she let Ramir guide her to the hall where the event was held. She didn't notice the worried stare of her brother nor anything till their name was announced loudly to the participants of the ball.

She finally snapped out of it— deciding to temporarily push it at the back of her mind— and quickly fixed her posture.

With the help of Ramir, her brother, he led her down the stairs under everyone's fixed gazes. They kept their stare on her, like wild dogs eyeing a premium bone, waiting for her to make a miss anytime.

But, she wouldn't be Adira if they let them have the gossip that they want. Instead, she floated down the stairs, to the center where the guests where gathered, so smoothly and elegantly, it was as if they were watching a diety descend to grace them mere mortals.

After reaching them, she promptly curtseyed and introduced herself with that cold yet beautiful small smile, "Good Evening. It is a pleasure to be of your acquaintance. I am Adira Remeria Eir Sylveris. Firstborn daughter of the Duke Sylveris."

The ladies and the men, as well as the parents of the nobles who were also a participant of the unified ceremony for their coming-of-age, stared at the mesmerizing figure of this elegant child.

While the Duke Sylveris, Silfor, who stood by the King's side along with Duke Dalriada, Osiris, looked incredibly smug. His ego inflating like a hot air balloon.

"My, the Lady Sylveris is such a wonderful child." Osiris spoke first while watching Adira interact with the nobles that quickly flocked around her.