Already Given You My Life

"Will you trust me with your life?"

Casimir was silent after her question and there was nothing on his face. Adira couldn't tell what he was thinking about when he's like that.

"No. It sounds weird like that. I mean, it's not a trust me with your life wedding kind or what but the kind where you entrust your safety to me or something?" She ranted while making weird gestures, flustering about how to make it sound more convincing and more understandable.

"Am I in danger?" I mean, more than you?

"Not per se but I'm just asking. If that time comes, will you entrust your life to me?"

Casimir was still silent about this question that she didn't know what to do anymore. What was making him silent? What is barring him from answering her? What's his gripe?

On a desperate measure to have full control of that moment, his assassination, Adira hurriedly added, "If you entrust your life to me, I'll entrust mine to you. That way it'll be fair. Don't you think so?"

She tried to make it sound more light-hearted just to get his consent. She needed to get his word on it no matter what, if she wants to save him.

Because when that time comes, she'll do anything just to save him. Not even Casimir, himself, can stop her.

After watching the seriousness on her ashen eyes, Casimir slowly nodded his head. Careful not to let it show on his face how eager he was to exchange his life's rights with hers. It was more than fair. It was everything he could ask for.

Even if it wasn't only in the case of danger, he was very willing to lay his life onto her hands. The only reason why he didn't answer her the first time was,

Shouldn't it be obvious already? She's already got this much hold on me and she's still asking about it? From the moment I asked to be engaged to her, I've already given her my life.

Adira finally let out a small sigh of relief. Now, with this, she'll have to monopolize him before the assassination attempt happens.

Because she never cared for any man from her past life, due to her obsession and undying devotion to Triton, she never got to know the empire's first prince—Prince Casimir Athanasius.

It was only when news of his assassination circulated amongst the empire and his funeral, which higher nobles was required to attend, did she know of his existence. But even then, she didn't care.

So she's got this dilemma right in front of her. She never knew who was behind the assassination nor who did it!

Was it someone with unparalleled strength and skills to be able to best the empire's first prince known to be a prodigy?

Or was it someone who was close to him and betrayed him?

The honey-trap route was unimaginable since based on this Casimir that she knew, he doesn't know much on romance or flirting—aside from when he does it to her—nor does he care about it.

So it all boils down to, who did it?

Who was strong enough to kill Casimir?

Adira was having this serious and dark thoughts in her mind that she didn't notice Casimir's sharp gaze plastered on her.

He loved to admire different expressions on her face but this particular one she was using right now, oddly didn't seem all that interesting to him and so he lightly poked at the scrunched skin in between her eyebrows.

Adira snapped out of her thoughts and turned to Casimir. She remembered that they were still in the middle of their outing so what she did was rude.