A Warning, Reminder and a Promise

"They gave you to someone else and I couldn't quite accept that. So I fooled myself into thinking that it won't be long till you wake up and remember that you loved me and only me.

That was all I could hold on to—the idea that no matter what was said to you or what you saw, you always loved me unconditionally. I love you, Adira. I may have failed to tell you that the last time and betrayed your warm and beautiful love for me all the time but I truly, madly, deeply love you.

Perhaps, this is the punishment and the payment the Gods have decided for me. Maybe the reason they allowed me to return was to watch you love someone else more than you used to love me and feel my heart bleed as much as yours probably bled then."

Triton reached out his bloodstained hands and gingerly caressed the face of the only woman he truly loved both past and present lives.

He had the greatest blessing and treasure handed to him on a silver platter yet he failed to see her importance until he lost her—he couldn't love her properly.

Perhaps the Gods deeply loathed him for hurting their beloved child and gave him the most painful punishment they could give him—to send him back to time and not given the chance to earn her love again.

They even made it that he remembered every sin he did so he'd have to live through his second life burdened by it.

This second life they bestowed unto him was both a miracle and a curse.

And even then, he managed to obliterate whatever little affection Adira had for him by constantly trying to pull her away from the men she now loved the most—Casimir and their son, Heise.

And because Adira had no more affection for him left, there was also no reason for her to set out on a war to conquer the neighboring nations and accidentally come across another dragon—which she offered to him for a tiny bit of his affection.

In reality, he was very worried for her then. He worried to death thinking about what danger taking the dragon with her must've entailed, however, he unwittingly said it in a way that caused the crevice between them to split even farther.

And he hated Casimir for managing to snatch Adira's heart—he abhorred himself for not being better for the most perfect woman to ever come into his life. He could not be better than Casimir. Now, he could only live in extreme heartbreaking regret.

"I won't ask for forgiveness or ask you to love me back anymore. This is enough—seeing you happy with someone else while also knowing you remember me is enough now. I just hope you will always remember that I will, for always, love you."

He leaned close to Adira and momentarily paused before gently placing a warm and sad kiss on her forehead, pulling back slowly to lock his gaze onto her moist ashen eyes.

This is my farewell to you, my one and only Queen.

He promptly let her go and rushed towards the languid raven-haired monarch, pulling the sword his love buried in him out, and dragged the man with him to hell. He won't allow anyone to interfere in Adira's happiness anymore. No more.

The latter jolted as soon as he saw Triton's clear and determined aqua blue eyes lock onto him and before he could even do much, Triton had already seized him in an armlock and proceeded to tilt himself backwards—as they were close to the edge of the tower.

It was all too sudden that all Adira could see at his final moment was the same handsome and loving smile he had always given her—the same smile she craved all her life, the past cycle.

"Triton!"

Being held back by Casimir's arms, Adira's out extended hand could only hold nothing but emptiness as both Triton and Raidyn fell out—of course, with the latter leaving behind a string of profanities that gradually faded out.