Chapter 5: Protection

Dean

"Dammit" I yelled as I slammed my fist on my desk and knocked every item off watching them crash to the floor. I knew the time would come when other rivals would start looking for my weaknesses, but I didn't expect them to find out about her so soon.

Little Lucy didn't know what business I was involved in, she was too young to know and I didn't want her asking questions. All she knew was that I was in charge of several large companies and was boss to loads of workers. Ever since mum and dad passed away I have been suffocatingly protective over her so much so that she has 2 bodyguards with her at all times and I know her every move. Call me crazy, but apart from Maria, she's the only person I have left. If something were to ever happen to her, I'd crumble and fall.

"Boss. The men are in the cars waiting outside ready for your next orders".

My fists clenched tightly together as I desperately tried to reign in my anger that was increasing by the second. I had to be calm in situations like these, my father always taught me that.

"Let's go. There's not a second to spare". Pushing my chair back I stood up abruptly grabbing my phone and slipping it into my pocket before nodding my head at the door. Jackson nodded in response and headed out the door first as I followed closely behind him.

They've messed with the wrong person.

A 20 minute drive later

"I want eyes and ears on the surrounding areas. If there's a threat then there's a high chance they could already be here. However, I do not want you to fire unless they fire first. We are next to a school, I do not want frighten any children or anyone injured. If you see someone suspicious, take a picture, do a background check and if you feel the urgency then knock them out and bring them to the warehouse. Am I clear?"

My men nodded sharply and relayed the message on the phone to the other men in their cars situated in different positions around the school. It may have looked dramatic, but when it comes to Lucy, I don't play around.

I stepped out the car and held my jacket over my arm as I confidently walked over to the entrance of the school.

"Good morning Mr Gray. Did Lucy forget something today?" The bored looking receptionist suddenly perked up and tugged at her collar as her cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

Suddenly a few female staff members peered out from the staff room door way staring at me. I could practically smell their desperation coming off at them like an disgusting smell.

"No, it was more that I forgot something. Lucy has a hospital appointment and won't be coming back to school today".

"Oh, er of course. If you could sign her out and I'll inform the teacher and bring her here". The lady at the desk pushed forward a clipboard and offered me a black pen with a smile. Grabbing the pen from her badly fake tanned hand I proceeded to write down all the fake information about Lucy's hospital appointment.

As I continued to sign and date the pupil removal form I could hear hushed whispers from the receptionist speaking to Lucy's teacher. But before I could listen to more she put the phone down and typed away at her computer.

"Dean, what's going on?". I placed down the pen as my little sister's voice echoed around the room making my heart race. I looked up at her to see nothing but confusion on her face. She knew full well that she didn't have a hospital appointment, but thank God she was smart for not questioning me.

"We have an appointment. It was my fault, I forgot". I tried to sound as convincing as possible, but from that familiar look I could tell she didn't believe me and had a lot of questions.