Chapter 32: Unexpected

2 years later

Rosie

I struggled to keep my eyes open for the 10th time that day. It had been a long day's even though I was not even half way through my 12 hour shift. Monday mornings truly were the worst. Everything just seemed more chaotic on a Monday morning. Not even my 3rd cup of coffee was helping me get through this day.

"Gosh Rosie, you look ill. You okay?". Sarah sat down opposite me with her own cup of coffee with a concerned expression.

"Hmm. I'm okay. Just struggling today, that's all". I brought my steaming cup to my lips and inhaled the caffeinated fumes hoping to wake myself up, but like always it was useless.

"Is sleep still a problem?. Hun, you should get something to help you sleep better".

I hated the fact that even though it had been two years since I had last seen him and Lucy's death, I still had nightmares and sleepless nights thinking about them both wondering what Dean was doing with his life. Bet he's found another woman and is probably living the high life.

"I'll be alright Sarah". But judging from Sarah's facial expression, I knew she wasn't falling for my act.

"Seriously Rosie, you need a holiday. Take a break. You've been working here for 2 years and you haven't had a single day off'".

I shook my head and stared into my black coffee grimacing at the taste, but I gulped it down knowing that my break was almost over.

"I will. I promise".

Throwing the empty coffee cup away I headed back to my desk and began to work on the huge pile of paper work. Even though I worked a stressful job as a Medical ward clerk, I couldn't be happier that my life was finally coming together. After living my life in fear and almost becoming homeless I had finally got myself back into education and got the qualifications I needed to work in the NHS. I had my own little flat not even 10 minutes away by foot and was making enough money to live a comfortable life.

Moving on from Dean and Lucy was hard, but I came to the realisation that I wanted and needed to focus on myself. It was time I put myself first. Dean made it very clear that whatever we had between us was over and as much as my heart ached and longed to be with him, I knew I had to move on. I have been on several dates, but none ever went any further. I knew why that was and for that reason I resented myself. The dates would always go down so well, but it was that one person, that one name that held me back. I hated the idea of being with someone who wasn't him. No man could make my heart flutter the way Dean did.

"So? A little birdy told me that Rosie has scored a date with Jack, confirm this for me". A smile came onto my lips as I signed off one of the many medical documents.

"That may be correct".

Jennifer wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me hard. Gosh people were so nosy about my love life even though it was pretty much non existent. I did get a lot of stick for always backing out of a second date. But nobody knew of the man who already had a hold of it.

"I'm so glad. He's had his eyes on you for a while. Anyone can see that".

"He's very good looking" I smiled to myself doing anything to try and take my mind off the never ending pile of paperwork.

"You've literally got it good. He's a doctor. Think of that money" she chuckled as she fell into a daydream of her own.

"I don't need a man for his money. I pay my own bills thank you very much" I corrected her with a serious face. But I was completely serious. After turning my life around, I didn't want to depend on anyone for anything. I conquered hell and had intention of ever going back.