Chapter 31: Regret

2 weeks later

Dean

"Cover your ears baby".

I sighed angrily knowing the wrath I was about to face. I expected this, but I wasn't expecting him to react like this. I watched as Isabella placed her hands over her ears hesitantly, confusion being the only expression on her face.

"You bloody fucking moron! How dare you say those things to her and then simply leave her. Are you out of your goddamn mind?!". His face was red from anger, his fists clenched tightly as he gripped at my collar harshly. James was a man of morals, something I had lost the moment I snapped at Rosie.

"It's done anyway. I'm going to find peace". I pulled myself out of his grip and neatened myself up. Lucy's funeral took place today with only a few of my closest friends there with me. But the atmosphere was far from calm. James had only realised that Rosie wasn't here when the service started. After the funeral took place all hell broke loose once he heard of what I had said and done.

"Peace? You truly think you'll find peace. Wake the fuck up and realise that Rosie was your peace. Anyone with eyes could see that. And you hurt and threw away the one person that could've given you the comfort and peace you're seeking. I'm so disappointed in you Dean. If what you said to me is true, if the words you spoke to Rosie are what you actually said, then I'm afraid you've lost her for good".

Guilt swarmed through my body like a never ending stream. I knew the moment I lashed out at her that I had hurt her beyond measure. I could see the tears threatening to pour out of her eyes before running out of Lucy's bedroom. I wanted to run after her and tell her I was sorry, but I knew the damage was done. I knew that I had lost her.

"I was just so sad"-

"That's not an excuse. We've all lost people we love. You said she had no idea of what you were going through, but she too lost family because of him. And you had the balls to say Lucy's death was her fault. Rosie sacrificed herself to save you and Lucy. She didn't ask to be saved, but you wanted nothing more to save her. None of this was her fault yet you pinned everything on her. You took your rage out on the one person that was innocent in this whole situation. I was with you. I could have easily shot Adam before he shot Lucy. Take your anger out on me. Take your anger out on the people who are actually responsible. Take your anger out on yourself. I offered her my bulletproof vest, but you stopped me because we were running out of time. If anyone is to blame, It's you. Not Rosie. I lost a daughter that day. When I first found you two, Lucy was the same age as my daughter. But the day she died, I felt like I lost you too. You need to come to your senses because you've now lost the only person that could have healed you".

Staring down at the floor with a mixture of both rage and complete sadness, I lifted my head up and glared at James whilst pointing my hand in the direction of Lucy's coffin.

"Do you think I fucking asked for this? Did you think for one second I'd enjoy this lifestyle?? This fucked up lifestyle was passed onto me by my father who chose this world. He died and I was left to pick up the mess. I was chained to this world and I couldn't do anything about it. All I wanted was a peaceful life with my sister and yet I was forced to become a leader all to protect my sister. Fucking hell, I don't give a shit about money or fancy cars. All I wanted was for Lucy to be safe. I wanted to move to the countryside watching her flourish. I wanted us to live without fear, without constantly looking over my shoulder. And now look, she's dead. She's gone and she's never coming back" I screamed at him as tears poured down my cheeks.

James' words were harsh but truthful. James walked over to Isabella who was crying silently and wrapped his arms around her shoulders before escorting her away from the church leaving me alone in silence.