Epilouge

Dean

I was overcome with joy. I had never experienced happiness such as this. Obviously our wedding day was one of the happiest days of my life, but this, this was unlike anything I had ever felt. There my wife lay cradling our baby girl in her loving arms. Never did I think I'd settle down and have a child of my own.

The doctors moved us out of the operating room and into a private room to give us a moment of peace with our precious newborn baby.

"We should name her" I mumbled still unable to take my eyes off our baby girl who was nuzzling Rosie's breast.

Of course Rosie and I had talked about baby names briefly, but we could never come to an agreement.

Rosie stroked her finger along our baby girl's chubby cheek and smiled at her softly.

"I've thought of a name. In fact, I've known a while back what I wanted to name our baby if it was a girl. I didn't want to say because I didn't know how you'd feel about it. But I know deep down in my heart that only one name could belong to her".

Tears welled up in Rosie's eyes and not even seconds later they slowly trickled down her cheeks.

"I want to name her after your sister. Lucy has and always will be a part of our lives. She was the reason we are together. Even though she's no longer here with us, I want our daughter to grow up to be almost like her. I want our baby girl to grow up fearless and strong, courageous and kind. Just like Lucy".

All the emotions, all the feelings I had kept at bay came pouring out. Barely restrained sobs crawled their way up my throat as I sat myself down on the bed beside my beautiful wife and our perfect baby girl.

"Lucy. Little Lucy. I-I don't know what to say. It's perfect. Are you sure? You don't have to"-

Rosie lifted her finger from our baby's plump cheek and held it gently on my lips instantly shutting me up.

"Dean. I couldn't think of a more perfect name. This is what I want, more than anything".

Tears trickled down my cheek as I lent over to our baby and placed the most delicate kiss on her little forehead.

"Lucy" I whispered as if the part of my heart that died along with Lucy started beating again.

"I love you so much Lucy. Nothing and no one will ever hurt you princess. I promise to love you unconditionally and support you through life. You will grow to be strong and kind and knowing the other person behind your name, I reckon you will grow fierce and unstoppable too just like your aunt. Daddy loves you so much. Mummy loves you so much. Our beautiful beautiful baby girl".

Rosie ran one of her hands through my hair as we both stared down at our angel lying soundlessly in Rosie's arms.

"Isla".

Rosie's head whipped up at me as I repeated the name a little louder.

"If we are giving her a name after Lucy, then I want her to have a part of your mother in her name".

Tears filled Rosie's eyes and leaned over to kiss me before pulling away and looking down at our little angel.

"Lucy Isla Gray" she whispered softly before smiling down at her.

Rosie smiled lovingly at me before cooing our baby girl's new name to her over and over again.

"WHERE ARE THEY?" A loud voice screeched from outside the room. I stood up protectively in front of my wife and daughter as the door burst open.

Isabella and James burst into the room, eyes wide and mouths agape as they stared at Rosie who was just as startled as I was.

"Oh my goodness! Congratulations" Isabella hurried over to Rosie, but stopped dead in her track when Lucy started to cry.