Chapter 22: Nightmares

Dean

"You told me everything that happened last night, am I correct?".

Anger flooded through me thinking of the possibility of Jackson lying to me. God knows how I would react if I was to find out that Jackson was the one who drugged Rosie.

"Of course boss. I told you everything I remembered". Jackson was sat in the chair opposite from mine with a serious facial expression, no hint of fear or nervousness could be seen on his face.

"If that's so, then tell me why Rosie told me that you brought her a drink. Why did you fail to tell that piece of information".

The office suddenly became tense and an uncomfortable silence surrounded the both of us. The only sound that could be heard was the light ticking of the clock.

"I'm very sorry boss. I genuinely forgot about that piece of information. But if you're thinking I drugged her, then you've got to be mad-"

"Bullshit. Rosie told me you brought her a drink and then that's where things started to turn strange. I hope my suspicions are wrong and you are not responsible for this".

Jackson stood up from his chair, his face angry and fierce. He clenched his fists defensively as he shook his head from left to right.

"Boss, I would never do anything to harm her. I can see she's yours and I only want to ensure her safety. I may have brought her a drink, but there was a time both of us glanced away from the cup. Someone must've slipped something in her drink"-

Gripping Jackson's collar tightly I yanked him up harshly staring into his cold emotionless eyes making him tremble under my glare.

"It better be some random person, because if I find out you had anything to do with this, then it'll cost you big time. You better not betray me Jackson. You know what happens to traitors".

Jackson pushed my hands off him and brushed his suit down that I had momentarily crumpled.

"Don't waste your time boss. I had nothing to do with this. No worries, I'll head back to the office and knuckle down on finding the actual person responsible".

Jackson shoved his chair back and stormed out of my office slamming the door after him.

This is very out of character. I had never seen him get so worked up over a situation before. He was always so chilled, but serious when needed to be. But this time he seemed, angry. He's definitely hiding something and I will get to the bottom of it.

Rubbing my aching temples, I pulled out my phone and lent back in my chair. I needed to talk to someone that didn't work for me. I needed help and I knew just the person to talk to.

Scrolling through my contacts I clicked on the name and held the phone to my ear.

"Well, I didn't think I'd be hearing from you for some time. But this is a pleasure, what can I do for you Dean?".

"Hello to you too James. It's been a while. How's Isabella and the kids?".

"They're great. Ethan's been asking for you like always. That reminds me, Isabella wants you and Lucy to come over for dinner sometime".

"Of course, that would be great. But James I need to ask you a favour".

"I'm listening".

"I know you aren't in the mafia business anymore, but I need you to try and track someone down. Lucy was attacked recently and I want the man who is behind this found".

I could hear James growl lowly in the background.

Even though he was a lot older than me, I saw him as a father figure and I know he felt the same way about Lucy and I.