Chapter 35: Game on

5 hours later

Dean

I hated seeing her like this, cold and blunt, but then it made me realise the impact of my words and actions. I turned her into this emotionless machine. I'm responsible for all the pain and hurt she endured. I should have been there for her during her sleepless nights holding her close and whispering sweet nothings. But instead I let her go and look at what she became.

My heart ached knowing that she wasn't mine. It hurt to know that she was going on a date with a man that wasn't me. I couldn't call her mine. No matter what I said or did, she wouldn't come back to me. But by god would I be persistent. In some way I was selfish. Selfish because I simply couldn't let her go. I would not let her go with another man, but I promised myself that I wouldn't be the same man I used to be. That cold, rude, arrogant side of me died the day I officially said goodbye to Lucy. She went to the grave along with all my hatred and pain.

I sat by her grave every single day talking to her, singing the same lullaby our mum used to sing to us and looking over photos I spent years taking. But every time I sat by her grave, I could only think of Rosie. I knew wherever Lucy was, she'd be cursing at me in 6 languages and swearing to take revenge for how bad I hurt Rosie.

"Dean, you gone yet?". Her melodic voice called out from the bathroom and for entertainment I chose to stay quiet fooling her into thinking I had gone. I clamped a hand over my mouth as she opened the door abruptly peering out but groaned in annoyance seeing me lying on her bed cuddling a cute dog cuddly toy with a bandage on my head.

I had been in her little flat for a while. I knew she wanted me out, but with the injury she had inflicted on me, she allowed me to stay a while.

"I told you to get lost. Jack's coming any minute now". Normally girls get excited over dates, but Rosie sounded anything but excited. She closed the door again and sighed loud enough for me to hear mumbling about boys being stupid.

Taking this as another opportunity, I jumped up and explored her drawers and wardrobe.

"Well what do you know" I whispered quietly smiling to myself as I held up my red hoodie that I originally gave to her, but then stole when she first left.

Glancing over at the closed bathroom door I gripped the hoodie tightly in my hands, my heart warming at the possibility that I may still have a chance of winning her back. Maybe she hasn't given up on me yet.

Suddenly the doorbell rung loudly. He was here.

"Crap!" Rosie shouted out from behind the bathroom door. I could hear her fumbling around, items falling onto the floor as she rushed around not wanting to be late for her date.

I walked over and leaned against her door waiting for her to step out. Crossing my arms against my chest, I smiled as I heard the bathroom door unlock and out she stepped.

My heart stopped. If angels were real, then she was what I imagined they looked like. I felt the oxygen leave my lungs as she stepped out tucking her hair behind her ear. I watched completely hypnotised as she picked up her little shoulder bag and walked shyly towards me. But what she didn't know was how much I wanted to kneel before her and beg her to stay with me. But I couldn't do that. I couldn't be selfish. If she left the date happy with Jack, then I'd be happy and let her go. Her happiness came before anything and everything.

Rosie stared at me, her cheeks reddening as I slowly walked towards her still silently mesmerised by her beauty.

"I-I need to go" she stuttered adorably.

"Wait, I just need to look at you for a moment longer".

Lifting my hand up, I softly stroked her rosy cheek. One touch eased my emotional pain, one look took my breath away. She had me under her spell but I'd gladly remain a voluntary prisoner.