Chapter 33: Not yours

Dean

My heart was racing seeing her standing there behind a desk. She looked even more beautiful than she did 2 whole years ago. I didn't think that was possible, but somehow she did. Her hair was longer and a darker tone than before. She had lost some weight which made me frown as she didn't need to lose anything. She was perfect the way she was. But that didn't stop me from seeing her eyes water. I never expected to see her here, especially in a situation like this.

I took a few more steps towards her cautiously, not wanting her to disappear from my sight, but one more step seemed to set her off and she ran off to the room behind her.

"Rosie wait" I yelled out to her but the door had shut. I needed to talk to her, I needed to touch her one last time to make me believe that she truly was standing before me.

I knocked on the door gently not wanting to cause a scene, but there was no response.

"Rosie. We need to talk". I twisted the door handle and pushed it open. Rosie was sat at a desk crying her eyes out. The same sounds I had heard 2 years ago that made my heart ache just as painfully. I couldn't blame her for crying. I had truly hurt her and she never thought, I never thought I'd see her again.

"Sir, you are not allowed in here". A doctor walked over to me and ushered me out of the room, but there was no way in hell I was letting Rosie slip from my fingers just like that.

"No, I need to speak with Rosie".

"Go away". Her voice was quiet and muffled as she wiped away her tears with her cardigan sleeve. She looked broken, devastated and hurt. But I needed only a minute with her to explain myself.

"Miss Faye does not wish to speak with you, now leave or I will call security. Please head over to your wife's room and let Miss Faye get on with her job".

"My what?" Rosie suddenly looked up from the desk, her face full of anger but then softened as if she was deep in thought.

"Please, I just need a minute with you Rosie. That's all I ask". Rosie looked up at the doctor with a hopeful look. The doctor stared back at her and then glanced down at his watch.

"5 minutes and then Rosie has to get back to work".

"That's all I need". Not wasting a single second, I grabbed Rosie by the upper arm and pulled her out of the room and down the busy hall. Rosie didn't say a word as I glanced back at her. She simply looked at me with watering eyes shaking her head as her gaze fell to the floor.

Thankfully we were soon out of the chaotic ward and standing alone in the quiet hallway.

"You shouldn't be talking to me. You should be with the mother of your baby". Her voice was quiet and cold as she stared at the floor unwilling to lift her eyes up to meet mine. I bit my lip harshly realising what she was thinking. She got it all wrong and it must have broken her with those thoughts.

"You shouldn't be jumping to conclusions Rosie".

"Oh really? Then tell me what I should be thinking when I see you with a heavily pregnant woman. It's been 2 years and you've moved on what else is there to say". Her cheeks always flushed when she became frustrated. 

"You're so adorable when you get the wrong end of the stick". My words only seemed to agitate her even more as she shoved me back harshly.

"Seriously Dean. Why are you here?". My heart ached seeing the tears trail down her smooth slightly sunken cheek before dropping off her defined jawline.

"Sweetheart, I don't know who the lady is. I was out getting some food when she started screaming. She told me her husband was on a flight back and she had no way of getting to the hospital in time. I was too scared to leave her until she was in complete care. I do not know her nor am I with anyone else".