Chapter 7: Care for you

Lucy

"And here's your pancakes with strawberries and cream".

Rosie smiled sweetly at me before placing down the mouth watering plate of goodness in front of me. I could tell Rosie was struggling serving such a large group of people, especially with some of them being complete jerks. I never really liked some of Dean's friends. The way they talked about women and judged others, not cool. But Rosie was holding herself together well.

"Is there anything else I can get you?".

"Your number babe".

I grimaced at Jackson's comment and stared down at my plate after I witnessed Rosie's uncomfortable face as most of the men on the table burst out in laughter.

Not tolerating the way Jackson made Rosie feel, I leaned to the side and launched my leg as hard as I could against Jackson's knee making him gasp out in pain and shock. He looked up between me and Ryan with an angry expression unsure as to who kicked him. Smiling sweetly at him I picked up my fork and began to tuck in to my pancakes.

"I'm honestly not interested".

What a Queen.

That's a first for Jackson. He HATES rejection.

As Rosie strutted away like a queen, the guys laughed and nudged Jackson revelling in his mortifying rejection. I tried hard to stop myself from laughing, but it was impossible. As I took another bite of my pancakes I glanced up at Dean to see him tucking into his cooked breakfast with a small smirk on his face.

"She's probably a lesbian" Jackson mumbled to himself which only made the situation funnier. He could not stand rejection whatsoever. He thought he was God's gift to women, but Rosie put him in his place like a boss.

I was tempted to come back with a snarky comment, but I held back and carried on enjoying the sweetness of the strawberries and staring off into the cafe occasionally making eye contact with Rosie as she carried on serving other customers.

"So what's the plan for today Dean bean?"

I smiled up at Dean, giggling as I was met with a not so sinister glare from his as I called him by my favourite nickname in front of his men.

"You're coming to the office with me and doing your school work there" Dean grumbled dismissively.

Wow, what made him grumpy.

"Hm. Whatever".

Dean looked strangely sad and dull as he tucked into his food. His men were deep in conversation yet Dean seemed distant and cold as he mumbled short answers to questions asked to him. I hated seeing him like this. Something was on his mind.

Was it me? Was it the food? Does he have a lot of work to do? Or is it, is it to do with Rosie?

"Boss, as I was saying I think we need to track the"-

Dean turned away from Ed mid sentence and stared over to the way of the kitchen staring intensely at the staff bustling about, but more specifically, her.

"Boss? Did you hear me?"

"Yeah, yeah heard you. Can we not discuss it now".

"Sure Boss".

Dean turned back and smiled to himself as he took a big bite of bacon. So he does like her. Dean's eyes met mine and instantly rolled as I wiggled my eyebrows at him telling him I knew what or who was on his mind.

"Fucking hell bitch".

The cafe suddenly fell silent as a loud voice boomed tearing the peacefulness to shreds. All heads whipped over towards the loud voice and my heart instantly sank.

A clearly shaken up Rosie was on the floor fumbling about trying to pick up shards of a broken glass. She was shaking uncontrollably as she quietly mumbled apologies faster than I thought possible. My heart ached as she rushed to grab napkins and clear the liquid that had fallen over the man, table and floor. Even though I was far away from her, I could tell she was about to cry.

Her pale skin began to turn red as she continued to pick up pieces of the fine china. She was in too much of a panic to care about the shards that were piercing into her skin. The men on the table she was cleaning had faces of thunder and rage.

Oh hell to the no. No-one shouts at my future sister in law.

"Can't you hold a damn teapot properly. How would you like it if I accidentally dropped a cup on you!?". I dropped my fork loudly on my plate and pulled my chair back eager to teach him a lesson in mannerisms.

But before I could reach Rosie, Dean had beat me to it. The man was holding a porcelain mug and aimed it at Rosie who was still frantically cleaning on the floor. Dean knocked the cup out of his hand and stood protectively in front of Rosie.

"Get the hell out of here before I throw you out" Dean roared back at them startling each of them.

"Good one boy. Protecting a pathetic waitress. I could ruin her life with one simple phone call".

"And I could ruin yours on the spot. I wonder how the public would react to your physical assault on a poor innocent woman just trying to do her job. Accidents happen, just ask your mother".

Damn. I am stealing that. Period.

The man stood up abruptly clearly offended by Dean for some reason and went to hurt him.

I'm about to kick this man where no sun shines.

Standing up, I went to walk over but Henry gripped my arm and shook his head.

"You'd do well to get up and walk away because you have no idea who you're messing with" Dean stared them down with a blank face.

"I think not. You're just a nobody. Here, have my business card so you can see who I am because it's you that's gonna leave".

I watched nervously as Dean picked up the little card and stared at it. But suddenly he pulled out his phone and laughed.

"How's about I phone your boss who is in fact my friend and business partner and tell him all about the things you said to me. I'm sure he'd love to hear that his worker threatened an innocent woman and was about to assault her. Or better yet, you tell him Dean Gray has pulled out of the business which as a result is likely going to cost you your job. So, what's it to be?".

My brother is a damn savage.

The man's face turned pale and he started to shake at the possibility of losing his job.

"H-Hey man, it's all cool. We'll leave".

"Not so tough now, are you cupcake?" I muttered quietly.

Dean's head whipped over to mine, his face doing everything he could to stop himself from laughing at my insult.

I watched as they gathered up their stuff and went to walk off, but Dean called after them.

"Tip her, now".

The main man seemed angry at what Dean said, but he still pulled out a couple of £10 notes and slammed them down on the table before rushing out.

I smiled widely seeing the effect my brother had on random people. He was an intimidating person, but to the people closest to him, he was like a teddy bear.

Dean crouched down slightly and offered out his hand to Rosie. She gently placed her uncut hand in his with a shy smile and stood up off the ground wincing slightly as she did.

"Oh my gosh Rosie, are you okay?". I ran over to her and grasped her bloodied hand staring at it in disbelief.

"I'm, I'm okay Lucy. Thank you". Even though she was in pain and still clearly shaken up by the event she smiled at me so warmly.

"Stay there. I have a first aid kit in my car" Dean muttered before turning his back on Rosie and I.

No feelings my butt.