Chapter 36: Old feelings

Rosie

He waited this whole time for me? And of course he of all people would bring me a box of chicken nuggets. This man, the man who captured my heart, the man who remembered every small detail was waiting for me to come running back into his arms. I wanted to, so damn badly, but I couldn't.

"Can I have one?"

Did he just?

Dean faced me with puppy eyes, a pouted lower lip and one hand out towards the large box in my hand, but that wasn't enough to make me give up one of my precious nuggets.

"You just crossed the line" I said with a smile, but I was completely serious. Never mess with a girl's chicken nuggets. Dean stared at the floor with a frown but suddenly gazed up at me as if a light bulb had gone off in his head.

"Let's go to McDonald's and then you can tell me all about your date". This man scarily knew my thoughts before I had even spoken them aloud. Dean hopped off the bench and held out a hand out towards me whilst holding the rose he got me for me in the other.

"Wow, I thought you said nothing was going on between you and him". My body shuddered hearing Jack's angry voice sound from behind the bench. Jack came into view looking at the both of us with hatred and simply shook his head.

His fists were clenched tightly gripping his coat jacket and car keys. His glare was now focused on me as he edged closer towards me.

"I should've known there was something going on you whore".

Clenching my fists tightly, I went to give him a taste of his own medicine. But before I could, Dean grabbed my waist and pulled me behind so that he was now face to face with Jack.

"Call her that again and I'll beat you into the next century". Dean's voice was unlike anything I had ever heard. This was a man standing up and protecting the woman he cared for.

"Go ahead. I'm a well respected man in the community and you're just a nobody who will end up in prison". I could feel the anger radiating off Dean as his body trembled at Jack's words.

Discreetly grabbing Dean's hand, I stroked my thumb against the back of his hand hoping to calm down the beast that was about to be let out.

Dean's body relaxed momentarily, but not even seconds after, he pulled his hand out of mine and clenched his hand together.

"A nobody? I am Dean Gray and you've messed with the wrong man's girl". Before I could stop him, Dean threw his arm forward punching Jack square in the nose. I grimaced hearing a single crack that sounded even louder in the silence of the lonely car park. Jack cried out in pain and clutched his bleeding nose.

Dean wrapped his arm protectively around my waist and pulled me into his side.

"You broke my nose!" He said ignoring Dean's heart melting words.

"You're a Doctor, deal with it".

I couldn't help but laugh at Dean's remark. It was a quote from the film Hot Fuzz that Dean and I loved. I didn't think that quote could ever be used in a real life situation, but here he was. He always brought out humour in not so humorous situations.

Jack was still writhing in pain desperately trying to stop the flow of blood pouring out of his nose. Dean looked back at me, his eyes glinting with pride as he checked me over with his eyes assessing my body language.

Smiling at him in gratitude, I stepped out from behind Dean and walked towards the jerk who was kneeling on the ground. I wasn't going to show Dean that I was still that helpless girl that needed saving.