Chapter 28: Recovering

Dean

"Mrs Richardson?" The doctor called out grasping everyone's attention.

"Y-Yeah that's me" Isabella made her way through the bundle of people still unable to stop her crying. She was a complete mess when she saw James in an unconscious state. As he was taken into surgery Isabella became inconsolable screaming and lashing out at objects around her. She tried to attack my men screaming that it was our fault. I knew she didn't mean it and couldn't help it. Triggers such as this tend to set off her personality disorder.

Isabella was restrained and sedated in hopes of calming her down and letting the medical staff get on with saving James.

"I just wanted to inform you that the surgery was successful. The bullet was removed, but he's in a coma. The injury took its toll on his body and will need time to recover. It's now up to him to wake up. You may see him if you wish". Isabella looked up at me with sad heartbroken eyes. I nodded slowly at her and she followed the doctor into the room that James lay.

"Men, go home. Get some rest. You're all dismissed for the day". I could tell they were conflicted to leave especially after the events that had happened not even 10 hours ago. But thankfully they left one by one. I didn't want to talk to anyone or face them. I wanted to be left alone. I had lost the one person that healed my broken heart. I let her slip from my fingers after promising myself I'd never let anything hurt her. I resented myself for not chasing after her, but what was I to do.

Sighing harshly, I slumped down in one of the hospital chairs and rested my head against the wall occasionally banging it in frustration.

"Dean?".

A soft fragile voice sounded from the left end of the long corridor. My eyes flashed open to see Lucy dressed in a hospital gown with bandages showing on her exposed skin.

"Hey". Lucy walked slowly towards me nervously, she winced now and again as the pressure on her wounds increased with every step. My fists clenched tightly together seeing my baby sister in pain. I'd happily take all the pain she was enduring in a heartbeat. She was 11. She shouldn't be suffering like this. She should be at school studying, having sleepovers and dreaming out her future. Instead she's in hospital suffering physical and mental pain.

"How are you feeling?". Lucy sat down beside me and hung her head low.

"I'm fine. But mentally, I'm broken. They did some horrible things Dean. They beat me, taunted me and threatened me with disgusting things. But I don't care about that. They took her Dean. They took Rosie. I can't help but cry every time I think of what that jerk will do to her. Dean, she sacrificed herself to save me. Why do bad things happen to good people".

Lucy broke down beside me hiding her face and muffling her sobs with her hands. Instinctively I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into my side being careful not to touch any of her wounds.

"Rosie was brave. So so brave. I'll never forgive myself for letting her go". Lucy suddenly pulled away from me and stared at me with disgust. But as I was about to question her, a hand flew across my face setting off a sharp stinging pain across my cheek.

"What the hell Lucy?!".

"You're going to give up on her, just like that?".

"Lucy, I"-

"Get the hell away from me" she spat nastily recoiling herself away from me.

"No, it's not like that".

"Then what! What is it Dean. Rosie is probably going through hell right now and you're just going to go sit here and do shit all. If it was me you'd be ripping the world apart to find me. What happened to the fearsome Dean Gray? What happened to the man who promised to protect her? Why are you not out there doing everything to find her, save her, rescue her. If you love her like you said you do, then why are you sitting here acting as if it's over, because it's not. Get your act together and bring your girlfriend, my future sister in law home. Bring her home. If you won't do anything then don't expect me to back down. Because she saved my life. She saved OUR lives. You're a pathetic excuse of a brother".