ACT TWO ;; CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"so."

taehyung's eyebrow quirked at jeongguk, who had started speaking only to freeze a moment later, the younger's fingers tapping against his mug while he swirled the lukewarm coffee. everyone else had already finished their beverages and breakfasts before hoseok and jimin took off to go to their classes, but jeongguk hadn't touched his food at all and simply played with his coffee mug until it was just him and taehyung.

jeongguk cleared his throat before finally speaking again. "so, you think you still have feelings for me?"

"i know i do," taehyung replied nonchalantly, tapping jeongguk's shin with his toe. "as much as i wanted to say i didn't, and that i moved on, all of the signs pointed to me still having feelings for you. ridiculous, right? i shouldn't still be hung up over a relationship that ended years ago."

"it's not ridiculous. at least, i don't think it is." jeongguk refused to look up from his coffee, his stare blank but his voice giving away all of his emotions.

"oh, really?" taehyung asked. he only continued speaking when jeongguk gave a curt nod of his head. "then i guess that's another person on the list of people who don't think i'm stupid."

jeongguk let out a snort. "oh, no, i still think you're stupid. just for different reasons."

taehyung let out a breathy laugh and ran his fingers through his hair before shaking his head slowly. "i guess you really haven't changed that much. maybe that's why i still like you, huh?"

at that the younger went silent, his lips pressed together in a thin line as his grip tightened on the coffee mug. taehyung suddenly felt horrible for bringing it up so much. "look, i-"

"i'm sorry that i can't remember it, taehyung."

taehyung stammered over his words for a bit before quickly shaking his head. "wh- i- why are you apologizing? it's not your fault that you got amnesia because of an accident."

"no, i just mean-" jeongguk sighed and turned his head toward the front door, as if he were summoning someone else into the room to break up the conversation. "i don't really... feel the same, i guess. and it makes me feel guilty, because maybe i'd still like you too, if i had actually remembered anything."

"gguk, you don't have to-"

jeongguk set down his coffee mug with a shake of his head, pushing himself up from the couch with a soft sigh. "i'm sorry i didn't eat my food. you can have it if you're still hungry, or if not i'll just take it with me. you can have the coffee too, if you like cold coffee. i need to clear my mind a bit and go get ready for my first lesson."

and before taehyung could say anything, he was shutting the door, leaving the older to frown and take the plate full of uneaten breakfast foods onto his lap.

"good thing i was hungry," he grumbled to himself, lifting the fork to his mouth and taking a bite of the once warm pancake.

-

jeongguk tried his best to focus on the lecture, his pencil being clutched so tightly that his hand was starting to hurt as he wrote down notes whenever he finally managed to catch onto a phrase from the professor.

his mind was elsewhere. he wasn't sure what to think or feel about what taehyung had told him. was he supposed to just let it go and never acknowledge it again, blame the other for not moving on? or was he supposed to try to be with the other again?

he frantically shook his head, catching the attention of the shy kid next to him who stared at him in concern.

"sorry," jeongguk stated, offering the other a small smile before turning back to his notebook.

neither of those options were good ideas. he needed to remember that there isn't always just two choices. as much as his mind wanted to focus on the other ones, now wasn't the time to be impulsive. if he went with the first choice, that would leave many questions answered and both boys confused. the second one would just end up hurting both of the boys if jeongguk ended up not really feeling the same.

he drew a small sad face on the corner of his paper.

the third option, though it would be agonizing to have to be so patient, was to just wait it out so jeongguk could figure his own feelings out and tell taehyung the truth.

he groaned and slumped down in his seat, stomping his feet in annoyance. 

this caught the attention of more than just the person next to him- half of the class was now staring at the frustrated and equally embarrassed jeongguk. a few girls in the front began to giggle at the other's sudden outburst, whispering to themselves about how 'weird that just was'.

the professor quickly calmed down the rest of the class, giving jeongguk a quick side-glance before returning to the lesson. he couldn't blame the professor. he was being a bit distracting. a lot distracting.

he blamed taehyung. for being stupid. and for being attractive. and for just being. because it was confusing jeongguk. it made his mind feel all jumbled.

jeongguk doesn't like feeling lost.

[a/n:] short chapter but hey, it's the best i can do for now since a lot of family things have been going on (good ones, at least) as well as having to move 

but i hope you enjoy and are having a good day ;(