The Unknowns.

Walked down the road slowly as I kicked stones off the road

Walked down the road slowly as I kicked stones off the road. "Why does the Apocalypse always have to be so hot?" I heard Murphy ask. "You could always take your coat off." I muttered. He turned to face me and I looked up at him. "Work on a tan." I said and he shook his head. "No thanks." he said and I rolled my eyes. "Fine sweat to death, whatever." I muttered most of that. "Yeah, I think they were right about global warming." Doc said and I when back to kick rocks off the road. "Warren, you have any visions of cool mountain streams? Cuz we need water." Murphy whined. I kicked a rock all the way off the road and into the ditch before I half smiled. "Have mine." Warren said to him, handing over her water. I looked up and stared at the truck. "What do you think?" Sarge asked as I kept an eye on it. "I think we should check it out." Warren said as we walked closer. "What's that truck doing there?" Lucy asked and I stopped for a second. "Waiting for us to steal it." Murphy said to her as I kept staring.

"Zona?" Doc asked as I stood away from the truck. "Could be. Let's move in easy. Sarge and I will check it out. And Murphy, you stay with Lucy." I heard Warren say. I looked around, keeping my eyes open for anything. I thought I saw something moving, but there was nothing. I lowered my binoculars and turned back to them. "Cab's clear. Nobody's home." Warren said, walking back to us. "Finder's Keepers. I am tired of walking.' Murphy said, walking closer to the truck. I grabbed his shoulder and stopped him. He turned to me and shook my head at him. "Now hold on. Don't you think it's a little odd that they'd leave this awesome truck right here in the middle of nowhere." Doc said to him. "You know what else is odd? Everything that's happened to us over the last eight years." Murphy said and I elbowed him. "Smells like a trap." Sarge said. "That's just Murphy.' Tommy said and I smiled, until I looked at Murphy. "No. She's right. This isn't important. We should keep moving." Warren said and I nodded at her. "Well at least let's check this gear for water." Doc said, getting down to check it out. "Who you suppose left all this?" Doc asked as I looked around. "Yeah. And where are they now?" Warren asked.

"You don't think they're still alive back there, do you?" Murphy asked before Warren, Sarge and Lucy walked closer to the truck. "You picking up anything?" Warren asked as I turned around to look back down the road. "Are you ok?" I turned to Tommy and shook my head. "I feel like someone is watching us." I said to him, before looking back down the road. "If they're still in there, they're not zombies." I heard Lucy say. "Not exactly reassuring." Murphy said as I kept looking down the road. I thought I saw something move. "Did you see that?" I asked and Doc and Tommy turned to where I was pointing. "I don't see anything." Doc told me. "Yeah, looks like a truck." Lucy said and I saw something move again. "We need to go." I said loudly. I turned to see everyone looked at me. "Right now." I said, trying to sound calm. "I know you're on edge after your sister passing, but-" "This has nothing to do with my sister. I saw something moving back there. Hiding." I said over Murphy. We both looked over at Warren and she looked at both of us.

"We should go." She said and I let out a sigh. "Well, wait, wait. I mean don't we want to look inside?" Murphy asked as we started to walk away from the truck. I heard the engine start up and I turned back to the truck. "No, no, no. Hold your fire. Don't. Hold your fire. Hold your fire." Warren said as I took a few steps back. "Say the word, Lieutenant. We'll light it up." Sarge said. "We should leave." I muttered. "No, no. Something's not right. I think we should go." Warren said and we started to walk away from the truck. "Well wait. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't you want to see what's inside? I mean it could be full of snacks for all we know." Murphy said to us and I kept walking. "It could happen!" Murphy yelled before I heard the engine sound change. I turned and saw it move. "Look!" Lucy said loudly. "The damn thing's following us." Doc pointed out.