Don't Tell Her

George pulled me to the stairs and looked at me. "Move it Jean." She told me. I tightened my grip on her hand as I stared at the stairs. "Rushing a pregnant woman down the stairs is a recipe for disaster." I said back to her. She stared at me and I stared back. "Fine, will go as slowly as we--" there was a loud gunshot not far from us. I grabbed the railing and almost flew down the stairs. I turned to George and stared at her. "Move it Miss President. Things are falling apart." I said and she quickly grabbed my hand again. She stared at me as I tried to pull her. "Move is George." She ran out of the door, pulling me with her.

"What happened?" I yelled, walking around a fire. "They attacked." "I know that." I said over her. George turned to look at me as she kept running. "They attacked. At first I didn't know why they knew we weren't at the gate, but then I remembered." George said, before stopping. I stopped myself, before walking into her back. "What?" I asked and looked over her shoulder. She looked over at me, then backed. "I remembered that guy as the gate opened." She said, opening a door. I followed behind her and she body checked a door open. I stood there, before she lightly pushed me to the wall as her leg closed the door. I stared at her as she stared out the tiny window. "George." I said, but she was so focused on the hallway outside.

"George." I said again, slightly louder. "What happened to everyone?" I asked. She turned to me and stared. "You don't know?" She asked and I blinked at her. "George honey, how would I know? I wasn't there." I said, trying to be calm. There was another kick from my child and I placed my hands around my stomach. "Easy." I whispered. "Murphy said, you could hear him." George said. I snapped my head up at her and stared her right in the eyes. "What? What happened?" I asked. George quickly placed her hand over my mouth, putting her other hand on her lips. "A few got in the wall. Addy, 10k and I ran after them. Addy and I split up. I really thought she would have gotten to you first. I don't know what happened to her." George said and I stared. "George, what happened to 10k?" I asked, moving her hand away from my mouth.

"I--" She looked down, before looking back in my eyes. "I, uh, don't know." She said. I stared as she turned away from me and looked out the tiny window again. "Oh..." I said and she turned to me. "What?" She asked. I shrugged at her as we locked eyes. "It's nothing." I said and she turned back to the window. I stared at her back as I felt like there was fire under my skin. I grabbed George's shoulders, turned her around and shoved her up against the wall. "George, I'm going to ask one more time. What happened to 10k?" I asked and she stared. She was trying to fight my grip. "George, you wouldn't fight a pregnant woman, would you?" I asked and she stopped. "Jean." "Tell me George." I said over her. She sighed, dropping her head. "This would be so much easier if--" "Tell me, George." I said and she snapped her head up. "Alright, alright." She said.

"He got dragged away. One of them got ahold of him and pulled him into the crowd." She said, shattering my heart with worry. My throat felt like a sponge, soaking up the spit I had and closing. If it wasn't hard to breath it would be now. I could only hear my heart, it was beating faster than the road runner. "Jean. Jean. Geneva." George said loudly and I looked at her. "What?" I asked. "I said, Warren and the others went after him." She said and I stared. "How is that supposed to help? Now I have more to worry about." I said and George stared. "You don't know what happened to Addy, Warren and the others are running in the middle of a war to find Tommy. And he could be anywhere." I said, flailing my arms. "Geneva, calm down." George said, slowly. "I won't calm down. There is a war out there and everyone I care about was or is fighting in it. We're in the middle of a war. We're in the middle of a war... a war I started." I said.

"Jean." George said. "A war I started and I can't even fight in it. So if you tell me to calm down one more time...what's that sound?" I asked as I looked around. "Is something leaking?" I asked and George stared. "Well..." George said and I turned to her. She was looking down at my shoes. I slowly looked down and stared. "Oh my water... well that's not good." I said and she stared. "We may--" My legs turned from rubber to jelly. "Jean. Jean." George said, trying to catch me. I reached out to her and I felt her grab my hands. "Ok, ok. Easy. Up you get." George said as she helped me to my feet. "George..." "I know." She said, before picking me up.