5 - THE VILLA

When I left Cédric, I decided to go to a real estate agency to ask for brochures containing the houses for sale near Cherbourg.

When I got home, I put them on the kitchen table and called my mother.

- Mom, where are you? I brought back brochures for the search for our new house, I shouted. Mum ?

- Yes, darling, I'm here, I heard in a very small voice.

I went out the back door onto the terrace and saw my mother lying on a sunbath. I was quite surprised to see her in such conditions. She had not put her nose so long outside for weeks.

- How are you mom ? I asked him, taken aback.

- Yes, very good, why? she said as she sat up from the chair.

- It's just that I'm happy that you enjoy the outdoors again.

- Listen ... I thought.

And in an energetic tone, she added:

- You're right, my darling, we're going to sell the house, find ourselves a new cozy little nest and I'll even look for work. We will need a salary. By the way, I already called a real estate agency this afternoon, to put it on sale. An agent will come next week to estimate it. According to the information I gave him, we could get a lot more money than we did with your father.

- That's great, mom! This is rather good news.

- My darling, we must move forward both. We will make a new start. And I know your father would be proud of us.

- Yes, I'm sure, mom.

She took me in her arms and hugged me very hard.

Suddenly, I remembered my discussion of the day with Cedric.

- Oh, by the way, mom, I saw Cedric in high school today, and we talked about the class council.

- So, what did your teachers say? she asked me with interest.

- Well, they agree with my repetition. At the same time, it was run in advance, the opposite would have surprised me.

- So it will be necessary to quickly take care of your registration in a new high school, she told me in a cheerful tone. But for that, you have to find a house first. Let's see the brochures that you have brought us. That of our dreams may be there!

Several real estate properties corresponded basically to my mother's expectations. I willingly complied with her criteria knowing that it was she who would continue to live there when I leave the nest. She surrounded, scratched and scribbled the various ads she found during the week in the newspaper and magazines.

But when my eyes fell on an ad box to celebrate Father's Day two days later, all my good mood and energy collapsed. My heart tightened immediately and the pain returned. My mother should not see this advertisement. She was just getting better, I did not want her to feel this pain; not after doing so much effort to get out of his torpor. I tore the page apart and put it in the trash. I crossed my fingers so that my mother did not pay close attention to the calendar and she made the link with the event of the weekend. I quickly ran through the newspapers to remove this kind of advertising before my mother read them.

My idea seemed to work because it never evoked the subject. Maybe she had thought about it, but also preferred not to say anything so as not to reappear our respective pain.

After several afternoons of visits with the real estate agent, we stopped our choice on two different houses.

One of them was a small, quiet pavilion on the outskirts of St. Peter's Church. It certainly would not be suitable for a young couple, because it was a little old and too rustic, nevertheless charming.