27 - THE JOURNAL

It was Mother's Day and that morning I got up early. I ran down the stairs after searching the bottom of my closet to take a small gift package. I put the breakfast on a tray, then went to pick a beautiful rose in the garden. I took a vase in the dining-room cabinet, filled it with water, and introduced the beautiful red rose. Do not forget, of course, to highlight the small gift package on the set.

I climbed the second staircase that led to the foot of my mother's room and entered the room. I gently put the tray on the small table, and sat down beside her on the bed. I squeezed her shoulder gently to wake her up.

She made no gesture. I felt like she was not breathing anymore.

- Mom, wake up, I say shaking, worried.

His body remained inert. He seemed heavy and rigid.

I put a hesitant hand on the quilt, dreading what I was going to discover below. I got up, took a step back and pulled the sheets dry.

- Mum ?

She was pale with chalk, as motionless as a statue. His half-opened eyes glittered like marble beads. One of his hands, white and frozen, was clutching a corner of the pillow.

- Mum ! I sobbed.

She did not move.

I stretched out my arm and touched his cheek. She was freezing.

I turned on my heels and ran out of the room, crossing the corridor to rush to my room. I grabbed my phone on the bedside table, trying to dial the emergency number. But, caught in panic, my fingers trembled. I wanted to sit on the edge of my bed, but got up immediately, dropping my phone down.

Two imposing forms burst onto my terrace.

I took a step back when they entered the room, then stumbled to the ground, shivering with fear. I stepped back again until my hands touched the wall. I realized suddenly that I was not wearing my finery.

- No, do not hurt me, I beg you!

One of the two masses advanced while the other remained behind.

"No, Anya, that's not what you think," Chris told me, walking slowly toward me.

He held out his hands, as if to claim his innocence and make me understand to calm me down.

"I came to talk to you and apologize," he said in a calm, calm voice. I do not want you any harm.

And I found myself wanting to believe it instead of being afraid of it. Chris approached me, making sure I would be quiet. He held out his hand to help me up.

"I'm not going to bite you," he joked.

I withdrew my hand from his.

- Oh I am sorry ! It might not have been the right word, he apologized, stepping back.

He was standing about two meters away from me. I would hope, however, that he keeps a greater distance between us.

He was as stunningly beautiful as I felt I had not seen him for ages. I studied his features with a feeling of deliverance. The same desire that I had had the first time I saw it resurfaced and my fear dissipated instantly.

I leaned against the wall to get up.

- You're in danger, Anya. I came to warn you. They will not let you go. They are very powerful.

- In danger ? I repeated feverishly.

- Yes, they want your blood.

- My blood ? But why ? What's so special about it? And who, "they"?