the beginning

(keep in mind, billie doesn't come up until part 7, but it is recommended to read all parts before. don't worry if u skip ahead💞)

i felt the soft, white, powdery sand beneath my toes. i stood a on the beach looking out to the ocean. a big set was coming in and my heart raced with excitement and it felt like i was floating. an identical face stopped beside me and squeaked with joy, "that's a big set coming! we'd better go before we miss it. come on, will." my mirror reflection who wore the same wetsuit and held the same surfboard, only a different color, raced out into the surf, her crazy, wild dirty blonde hair plastering to her cheeks as she began paddling and as water splashed up to lick her face. i smiled softly, about to follow, when a boy my a little taller came to my side.

i turned my head and looked him in the eyes. his face was exactly the same as mine and the other girl's, except his hair was shorter and less tame. it was curly and dark brown and hung over his eyes unless he tucked it behind his ears. "willow, you coming?" his high pitched voice squeaked. i nodded. when he began walking into the water, i followed after. the chilled water took my breath away and that was one of my favorite parts of surfing because when the cold takes your breath away, it's like the ocean breathes new air into you that makes you able to float.

when it was deep enough, i laid down my freshly waxed board. it was slick and a few feet taller than me. i'm only 4'4. i paddled hard to catch up to the other two kids, my arms hardly burning anymore since it was summer. if it was winter, i wouldn't have been paddling every day and i wouldn't be as strong. it was quiet all around except for the chopping of the ocean against my board, my breathing, and my arms digging up the water beside me. i saw the two kids ahead of me, stopped and sitting with their legs on either side of their boards. "you're slow today, will," mumbled the messy haired girl. "slower than usual," snickered the boy. my expression and response was neutral. i truly didn't care what they said. not because it was mean, but i could care less about anything they say, so i ignored them. as usual.

"we missed the set because of you. we will have to wait for another one. it won't be for a few minutes," complained my reflection. i shrugged, "i wasn't slow, the waves were fast. they're anxious today, which usually means somethings going to happen," i replied. the boy threw his head back in laughter, "you're so silly, willow." i gave a little smile. maybe that was a little silly to say. "she always says stuff like that and it's true somehow, charlie clyde," sniffed the girl. "don't call me charlie clyde, twyla fay," the curly haired boy splashed her. "then don't call me twyla fay, cc." i looked past the bickering children and saw a wave beginning to build up.

i didn't say a word, only began paddling to build up speed. my heartbeat quickened as i imagined the feeling of gliding on the water. i could almost taste the salt in my mouth. i heard two screeches, knowing the wave had consumed twyla and cc already. it must be getting closer to me. at least i'm prepared. i paddled and paddled until i began to move without using my arms. the wave was taking me to shore. i placed myself in a push-up position and sprung up like a cat pouncing after a mouse. i bent my knees and held out my arms, as if i were sacrificing myself to the ocean. the wave curled above me and in the tunnel, the trickle of water echoed loud enough to drown out my heart racing in my ears. i swished back and forth inside the cave of water and i put my hand against its walls, foamy water hitting me back. i giggled. i think the ocean and i are friends. i exited the tunnel and breathed in the fresh air once more. i jumped off my board and dove deep into the sea until the band on my ankle connected to my board tugged me back up.

when i sat back on my board, i looked to shore. i ran my fingers through my knotted, dirty blonde hair and stared at a pretty woman in a flower dress holding an umbrella and a picnic basket. i began to shiver, the afternoon wind starting to pick up. it's not 5 am anymore. i lose track of time at the beach. i paddled in and approached the pretty woman.