Chapter 3: Ray of light.

I groaned and turned my laptop off. I have been working since the morning continuously and now my eyes were hurting because of looking at the screen.

I sighed and flopped onto the bed. I have saved enough money to last me six more months, I had to earn more to get a place because living in this motel which is in the center of nowhere isn't safe.

It's been two weeks since I have been living here. I didn't see Isaac much. 'He could be busy' I thought to myself or it could also be the reason I didn't go out of this room much.

There was a knock at my door, "Bella, it's Isaac."

I frowned 'Bella?' Did he just made a nickname for me?

"Yeah, wait a sec" I unlocked the door and looked at him.

"Hi," he said sheepishly.

I smiled, "Hello, come in."

He entered and awkwardly glanced around my room, "this is a small room."

I chuckled looking at his confused face, "why? You have never seen a small room?"

"No, I mean uh yeah I have seen small rooms," he scratched the back of his head, "it's just yours is smaller."

"I like it"

He looked at me in disbelief, "You judged my choice of living here, and now you like it?"

"Yeah, I mean it's quiet and it's easy for me to work here."

"You like quiet places?" He looked at me with his whole attention, which made me a little restless.

"Yeah, I used to live in a very noisy place before," I shuddered remembering those memories, "this place is quiet, peaceful, and secluded. I love it now because it has WiFi."

He chuckled at my comment, "I am glad you like this gloomy place."

"It's gloomy, just like my soul," I said while moving my hands, dramatically.

He grinned, "are you sure you're not the incarnation of Hannibal Lecter?"

"Yeah, I might eat your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

We both starting laughing, I looked at him. It felt good talking to someone even though I wasn't familiar with him but I felt this attachment with him which I had never felt before.

"Are you okay?" His melodic voice broke my trance and brought me back.

"Yeah um yeah just thinking about something," I looked back at him.

"About what?"

"Uh well just how you have the same serial killer tendencies as me" I smirked.

He gasped while holding his chest like he's hurt, "I am as innocent as a lamb, I am a living embodiment of innocence."

Suddenly, there was an animal noise outside which made Isaac sprint towards the door. I looked at him in confusion "why did you shut the door?"

"Uh, because it could be a wild animal."

"It sounded like a dog howling? Maybe a pack of dogs," I went near the door to go outside and look at where the noises came from "let me check."

Isaac instantly covered the door with his body, "why do you need to go outside to check? Just leave it be."

There was the noise again, which now sounded like a growl? 'What is happening? It's the noise of dogs, they can't be here. I didn't leave any traces. They can never find me' I assured myself.

"Yeah, you're right, I should just stay in the room." I slumped on my bed and looked at Isaac with furrowed eyebrows who looked angry.

"I will be back," Isaac said while opening the door, "I think I left my room's door open." He mumbled and left after closing my room's door.

"Weird" I mumbled.

***

Isaac didn't come back, it's not like I wanted him to come back but I was just curious about why he left so hurriedly.

"Maybe he has a dog?" I said to myself and carefully unlocked my door and then look outside cautiously while stepping out, when I saw there was no one I sighed in relief.

There was a small diner named "grace's diner" just outside of the motel which had satisfactory food and also the owner was quite nice. I started walking towards the diner.

"Hello" I entered the diner and looked at the old lady who had a warm smile on her face.

"Hello, sweetheart," she immediately looked at me, "how are you?"

"I am good, grace," I flopped on one of the seats in front of the counter, "how are you?"

"Eh, I am good, what can I get for you today?" She beamed.

After ordering my food I sat and chatted with grace for quite a long time. It was therapeutic to talk to someone older and more experienced than me, I talked to her about how I love writing, how I just got done with my online college and it's my ambition to write a book someday. She listened to me even told some of her stories about how she started this diner.

"Isaac helped you?" I looked at her in astonishment.

She smiled, "yes, Isaac helped me, I owe him my life."

I smiled at her, even though I was a stranger Isaac helped me that day too.

"How did he help you?"

She smiled sadly, "when my husband died, some of his friends wanted to kill me, too because my husband owed him some money, but Isaac helped me by saving me from them, and then he got me this job here at the diner.

I looked at her with my wide mouth, "I am so sorry to hear about what you've been through. Nobody should go through something traumatic like this."

She smiled, "thank you, Isabelle. You are too kind."

I smiled at her and after finishing off my food I made my way back to the motel where I met Isaac who was talking to someone on the phone when he looked at me he put his phone in his pocket and came towards me.

"So is your room's door in another dimension?" I asked him.

"uh-no I just remembered I had to do something which I forgot," he scratched the back of his head, "were you waiting for me? Did you miss me?" He looked at me with the same gaze he looks at me which makes my heart race every time. Damn you, heart.

"N-no, why would I wait for you? I was just curious, nothing else" I stuttered and started hurrying towards the motel.

"Hey, simmer down," he jogged behind me while chuckling, "I know, I am a good person and people miss me in my absence. You don't need to get all embarrassed about it."

"cocky much?" I fake gagged, "I would die before missing you, mister arrogant."

He pouted while holding his heart, "aw you wound me, Bella."

I ignored the nickname and shook my head while laughing.

"thank you, Isaac."

He furrowed his eyebrows, "for what?"

"For being my ray of light on that dark road, you helped me that day when I didn't know what to do and where to go." I looked at him, "thank you for being such a nice person, I am so glad, I met you and not a serial killer on that road."

He smiled, "I told you, Bella, I helped you because I knew you needed help and I will gladly do it again."