🍂Chapter 40🍂

I woke up only in the morning, when the sun had just began to rise. I stretched and thought of what happened yesterday and the same as what I have been doing for the past 3 days here, check my phone for a signal. I mouth dropped open when I saw the full bars of signal in my phone. Too shocked to react, I walked out of my room and knocked on Hattori's door.

"I know, I already called the police. They will be here soon." he said, the moment he saw me when he opened the door.
I walked back into my room, my longing to hear his voice getting stronger by the minute. After their appearances here, I cant help but worry.
"hello? Conan'kun? How are you?" the phone went through.
"Misaki nechan... I thought something happened to you since you didn't contact me or Ran nechan. Don't worry its fine here, finish up your case first, it's more important than my problems with school work."

I put down the phone and frowned, something is wrong. As the sirens got closer and louder, I ran all the way to the foyer and seeing Takagi keiji and Megure keibu getting out of the car, I shouted
"Takagi keiji! Can you help drive me back to my house? Please its an emergency."

"wait hold on misaki'san, I'll come with you, if you really feel that something is wrong."
Takagi keiji said, as I jumped out of the police car after reaching.
The front gate is locked, so I walked to the back of the house where I was sure there were no cameras around and started climbing the wall.
" w-wait, this is trespassing! " Takagi keiji said nervously, and I stared at him, speechless. Soon I was over the wall and landed on the grass. I scanned around the house, hoping to locate them, but I couldn't see or hear them, which means they are not upstairs or here.

I slowly turned around, looking if anyone is nearby. I froze, sensing someone is watching me. Probably not a good time to start looking for them yet. I walked into the house, "Ran? Conan'kun?" I shouted this over and over again after letting Takagi keiji in. I searched everywhere, but they cannot be seen.
"What now?they're not here, they probably went out. You're just worrying too much, Misaki."
I nodded, walking back to the front gate.

Conan POV
I hear Mi'chans footsteps wander further away from the house, most likely going back. There had been an intruder in the morning, and Ran and I, out of fear, hid in the hidden underground basement of the house, which not many people would know and discover. She would have known we were hiding here, after that call earlier.

"Why can't I find them? I need to before today, or else..."

"Or else what? I discover your identity? You should have known better, the spy that killed my brother, even after he treated you like his buddy." I hear Misaki above me, talking to someone who's voice is so familiar, but I cant recall.
"oh? And what about you? FBI spy? Oh no, it should be Rose'san, isn't it?"

I jerked when I heard it. Kansai tatsue. So his suspicion about us is true, but we have not revealed much to him, so how did he know? I leaned in carefully against the trap door, hoping to hear more.

"what are you talking about? And you know detectives talk about proof. So where's your proof? I don't need to turn to the FBI to avenge for Shinoki, you know. And if its still about jodie sensei, I think I have already explained. And I believe you know Rose'san,even though mysterious but definitely works for the B.O. So how would you know if I work for B.O.? And I wouldn't, in case you're wondering." misaki defended fiercely.

"We'll see." I hear his footsteps slowly fading out towards the gate. A few moments later, the door opened and Misaki's face appeared.

Misaki POV
I never felt so relieved seeing his face. "I come any minute later, and this is the end of all of us." I grumbled, watching Conan climb out, followed by Ran.

We all sat in the living room, not knowing what to do.
"Ran, I think its best that you move back to ojisan's house. It's almost finished right?" Ran nodded, walking upstairs to pack her stuff, knowing that me and Conan will be for it.

"now it's the two of us, honestly I want to act, like, now. But I guess not." I smiled, staring at my family photo, and then Shin chans beside. Shin chans family was happy, loving, while mine was the exact opposite, with now half of us gone. "Rest early, you never know whats gonna happen tomorrow." I mumbled, walking up the stairs and locking myself in my room.

I lay on my bed and thought about what has been happening. Everything started with Okasan joining the B.O., then otousan and shinoki meeting mishaps, one after another. Miyuki resorting to FBI, and then me. Tatsue that spy, and the prime suspect of shinoki's death. I tossed and turned, don't know what to do anymore. With the maple pendant in my palms, I slowly fell asleep...

I finally returned to school the next day. After like so long, everything seems to be normal, but not really. Conan and I walked along the path again, parted ways at the junction where I'll go with Ran and Conan will follow the kids. During the lessons, I can't help but start thinking about things again, drifting off from the boring lessons. Tamago, who has taken the empty seat beside me, whispered, "What are you thinking about?" I stared out of the window again. "do you know him? Shinoki I mean." i added, when Tamago's confused face looked at me.
"what do you think? I just joi- same as you. What makes you think I know him?"
I shook my head, not thinking of this earlier.

"come on, if you can't solve the problem, don't think about it. It'll just make you worry more for nothing." Tamago nudged me as the teacher releases us for break, dragging me down to eat.