nightmare//e.d

(ethan's pov)

"Mommy," I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as I heard a little voice. "Mommy." I looked up, sitting up.

"What are you doing princess?" I asked. Bailey looked up from poking y/n. "What's wrong?" I asked. She looked at me, tears in her eyes.

"Daddy," She whispered. She ran over around the bed to my side. I pulled my arms away from y/n as Bailey sat next to me. Pulling her into me I hugged her. "Bad dream." She said. I held her tight and kissed her messy hair as she cried quietly.

"Let's go downstairs, my love," I whispered. The 6-year-old nodded into my shoulder. I picked her up as I got out of bed. Kissing y/n on the head, I left the room quietly. Quickly checking if her brother was still asleep, I carried Bailey downstairs. Sitting her on the couch, she wiped her eyes. "Hot chocolate?" I whispered. She nodded.

Bringing back two mugs of hot chocolate to the couch, I set them down on the flat armrest. "Thank you." She whispered. I nodded. Checking the time on the wall clock, I sighed. It was 2:15. Sitting down next to her, she crawled onto me.

"What happened Bailey?" I asked. She sighed and wrapped her tiny arms around my neck. "What happened in your bad dream, angel?" She looked up at me.

With only the kitchen light illuminating her face, she still looked so sleepy. But I knew she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep if I put her to bed. "There were animals." She whispered, eyes wide.

I chuckled, "You love animals, princess." I said. She frowned at me.

"Not the big scary ones," She said, her voice just above a whisper. "There were tigers and cheetahs and scary animals- in our house!" I widened my eyes, pretending to be shocked.

"Oh no!" I said, poking her nose. She giggled.

"And then I was looking for you and mommy and Sean and I couldn't find you!" Her eyes filled up with tears again. I shook my head and squeezed her.

"Don't worry, I'm right here, angel," I whispered. She nodded and wiped her eyes and wiped her wet fingers on my t-shirt. I let out a soft laugh.

"A-and then a bat came and it-" She began to cry and I rubbed her back. "It bit me!" She rubbed her hand on the back of her neck, wincing. I shook my head.

"There're no animals princess, look." She nodded at me. "And if there were, mommy and I would protect you, okay?" She nodded again, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Okay." She whispered. I grabbed her mug of hot chocolate and placed it in her tiny hands. "Thank you." She whispered, taking a sip. It wasn't really hot anymore.

"No problem my angel," I drained my mug in one go and put it beside me. He kicked her legs against mine. "Almost done?" She nodded, still drinking. I looked at the time again and rubbed my eyes.

"Daddy?" I looked over. I took the empty mug from her hands and nodded. "I'm sorry for waking you up." She whispered. I shook my head.

"It's okay Bailey," She sighed and rested her head against my arm. "Next time, wake me up okay? Let's let mommy sleep." She nodded.

"Last time, mommy said that," She whispered. I tilted my head. "Mommy said not to wake you up, I'm sorry." She said. I looked down at her.

"No it's okay," I sighed and pulled her up on me, so her head was on my shoulder. "You've had these dreams before, my love?" I asked. She nodded and bunched up my t-shirt in her fingers.

"They're scary," I squeezed her and shut my eyes for a second. "Daddy, I'm sleepy." She whispered. Opening my eyes I nodded.

"Let's go back to bed?" I asked. I stood up with her, her arms around my neck, and carried her to her room. Tucking her in, I pushed her messy hair from her forehead. "Okay?" I asked. She nodded.

"Don't go." I smiled. Pulling her chair next to her bed, I sat down and grabbed her hand.

"I'm not going anywhere, princess." She closed her eyes and nodded. "I'm right here."