05. half-finished cans of cherry cola

Before I know it, I'm standing in the courtyard walking to none other than Patty Water's car. June stands behind me and waves, with a mock expression of disappointment on his face. I can only laugh. Patty opens the door for me and I'm pleasantly surprised that his car smells like rich pine and not day-old birthday cake and cheap takeaway noodles. He leans back in his seat, with one arm resting lazily over the steering wheel.

"So who are you, Lavender?" he asks. I'm confronted by his boldness and I scramble to come up with an answer.

"I'm, uh, I'm a wallflower," I conclude and as soon as it's out of my mouth I realise how lame it must've sounded. I catch my reflection in the car's mirror for a second and I freeze up. I look down at my feet and try to calm myself. I don't look up again.

"Didn't seem like that when you were dancing at the party," he smirks and I feel myself turning crimson. Now I'm glad I'm not facing him.

"I was drunk. That was different," I mumble. I hear him laugh beside me and I feel a rush of annoyance. "Are we gonna go meet this cat or not? Otherwise, I will get out of this vehicle right now."

"Geez, calm down will you?" he pulls the car into drive and we ease out onto the street. I relax into my seat, wishing I could sink right down through it and into the ground till I came up in China. We sit in silence but it feels rigid and awkward. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see that Patty keeps glancing over at me. I don't make eye contact.

Eventually, we arrive at what I assume to be his house. He drives up the long winding driveway and I stare in awe. I knew he was well off, but this house looks like it could accommodate twenty. It's massive, all glass windows and sleek white walls, the epitome of the modern wealthy family. I would hate living in a house like that. I can see what must be his mother vacuuming the bright orange rug in the living room. I can see a boy slumped on the couch with headphones in. It's like living in dolls house. Everyone could see what you're doing every second. The thought gives me shivers. He walks up to the door and I follow after him tentatively. As soon as he gets in, he slips off his shoes placing them on a rack. I do the same, feeling extremely out of place. I turn around to see a woman with a short blonde bob smiling at me. I glance at Patty and see him roll his eyes.

"Mum, this is Lavender," he drawls. His mum smiles widely at me, flashing a set of pearly white teeth in perfect rows.

"Hi sweetheart, it's so nice to meet you." I'm surprised when she pulls me in for a hug. I hug back rather awkwardly and give her a fake smile. She doesn't seem to notice. "Hello, Mrs-"

"Call me Cindy, love," she interrupts.

"Cindy, nice to meet you as well," I say. She bops my nose and I take a step back. I can't hide the uncomfortable look on my face this time.

"Well aren't you just the sweetest?" she chortles. Her voice reminds me of rose and vanilla. I glance at Patty and he takes the cue.

"Okay, we'll be in my room," he says, smiling at her and taking my arm. She looks upset for a moment and then quickly gathers herself.

"Okay, hun well I'll bring you some carrot sticks and dip in a moment then."

"No. We'll be fine," he calls back and drags me away. I glance back awkwardly at Cindy so see her watching us with her hands clasped. He pulls me into his room and closes the door with a thud. He sighs. "Sorry," he mutters walking over to his bed.

"No, it's fine-" I start to say but I stop abruptly as I take in his room. It's not at all what I expected. I just assumed his room would be all sport, sport, sport and then some calendar of pretty models. It's not at all.