19. letters to strangers

I got home from working on the treehouse and my body was so very tired. The only thing I could think to do was heat up a bath. 

I sink deeper into the warm water feeling the tension release from my muscles. I don't know how I'm going to keep this up for the next few weeks, I am not one for exercise that's for sure. I call Jade on the phone as I relax and she picks up on the second ring.

"What's up, babycakes?"

"Please. Never call me that again." I hear her giggle ring out through the phone.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist. Indigo called me that earlier today and I just couldn't take her seriously." I realise how caught up I've been in my own struggles. Every time I've talked to Jade lately I've just been ranting about my own situation and asking her for advice. I don't think I asked her about Indigo once. I swallow my guilt.

"Oh, yeah. How is she?"

"So good! She is literally amazing." I can imagine her blushing on the other end of the line. "We went on a date yesterday and she took me to the coolest underground club. It had all these punk rock bands and it was specifically an underage event. I have no idea how she finds these places. She's just so freaking cool!" she cries.

"Sounds like fun," I laugh, loving her enthusiasium.

"Lavender, you should totally come there with us next time. Indigo was saying that one of her favourite bands is playing there in a month. You could bring Patty." I'd love to go but Patty will be gone by then. Idiot Patty.

"Yeah about that, he's moving."

"Shut up," she cries, "are you serious?"

"Yeah."

"That jerk!" she pauses for a moment, "when?"

"Like very soon."

"When did he tell you this?"

"Yesterday."

"That jerk!" she cries again. "But why?"

"His dad got a job interstate."

"That really sucks." She sighs, "You know, Lavender. You should really just start dating girls. I can tell you this right now, they are a hell of a lot more communicative."

"Well let me know if there is some magic spell that can make me lesbian." I sigh. "These boys are killing me."

"So you guys gonna do long distance then?" To be honest, I hadn't really thought about the logistics of it all. I'd just assumed we'd still be together but the words 'long distance' give me a bad feeling.

"Not really like I have another option. It'll only be twelve weeks that he's away."

"Twelve weeks is a long time, sweetie. Don't have your hopes too high. It may not work out." As always, she's straight to the point.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"Just trying to give you the facts." I run my fingers down the edge of the bathtub.

"But hey, I would still love to hang out with you and go to that concert. It sounds fun." I miss her, especially with the play and everything before, we've hardly hung out. Why do I seem to struggle so much with the concept of putting my friends before relationships? I guess June did the same thing too, and Jade. Maybe that's just how things work at this age?

"Cool, I'll send you the link to buy tickets later."

"Thanks. And sorry if I've been a bit absent lately," I can't help but feel like a crappy friend. I make a promise to myself that I'm going to make an effort to hang out with her more.