29. you don't get it.

I press on the button to put the windows down and stick my tongue out in the wind as we speed down the winding road. I was expecting fresh countryside air, but all I get is cow manure and freshly clipped grass. My mum and I have been driving for what seems like forever, but Patty's house is still a while away.

"Oh, wind that up!" she says, "the air is bloody freezing." I laugh and put them back up.

"You say that even when it's hot!" I reply. Today, I'd say the air is lukewarm at the most. Freezing is definitely an exaggeration. It's summer now after all!

"I wouldn't complain if I were you, I might just turn this car around." I know she's just joking, but I listen anyway. The only reason my mum even agreed to drive me all the way down here is due to a spice shop she's been wanting to visit nearby. Apparently, it has some unique mixes and herbs she can't get anywhere else.

After another hour or so, the highway turns to a smaller lane, and we eventually turn up in a suburban neighbourhood. It honestly doesn't look that different to ours apart from all the houses having white picket fences and seeming much quainter. If his mum was really that bothered, she could have just put a white picket fence out the front of their yard. I honestly don't understand why she'd move out of her near-mansion to love in some cute little cottage.

"Call me when you're ready to leave," my mum says as I jump out of the car. I nod.

"Thanks for this mum, I appreciate you driving me all the way out here," I say, and she smiles back at me. I walk up to the gate and unlatch it before glancing up to properly take his house in. It's a double story and covered in off-white panelling. It's not what I was expecting at all. I rap on the door immediately, and his mum answers with a smile.

"Hello, Lavender, great to see you again. Come in, sweetheart."

"Thank you," I smile and grapple in my mind for a name. I can't believe I forgot. I just have to hope she doesn't notice.

"How are you going?" she asks me with her sugary tone.

"I'm great," I smile courteously. This conversation already feels tedious. She walks across to the stairs and calls up. She glances at me as if to ask whether she should let him know who it is. I shake my head.

"Patty! You have a guest," she says and winks at me. I hear no movement from upstairs, so I smile at her again awkwardly.

"Uh, so how was the move?"

"Oh, just fantastic. Don't you just love the place? It has that Victorian feel, doesn't it? And the movers! Goodness, they were so helpful..." I tune out and simply smile and nod while she continues to ramble on. Where is Patty? I thought I'd surprise him, but he sure is taking his time.

Finally, I hear a door swing open from upstairs and a clambering down. Patty appears at the top of the staircase. He has his eyes glued to his phone and doesn't even glance at me. It isn't until he arrives on the first landing and goes to turn that he finally looks up and sees me.

"Lavender...what, are you doing here?" he asks, tucking his phone is his back pocket.

"I just missed you, and I thought I'd come to check out your new place..."

"Right."

"Sorry, is that okay?" I ask, confused. He stumbles down the last couple stairs and then breaks into that familiar grin.

"Yeah, yeah, of course. It's great to see you. I was just a little shocked is all." He wraps me into a hug, and I lean into him. I didn't even realise the full extent of how much I missed him until now. It almost scares me.