22. neon

Lately, it seems that Patty and I have been talking less and less. He started his classes this week, so he's busy with schoolwork and doesn't have as much free time. I have so much to ask him about. I want to know everything about his friends, his teachers, his house and I have a lot to update him on about in my life too but every time we call he has to go for some reason or another. I didn't realise how busy his new life would be.

Eventually, Friday night rolls around. Jade, Indigo and I are in the car on the way to the concert. Jade ended up borrowing me some of her clothes instead of me buying something new. I'm wearing denim cut-offs and a shirt which I've tied in a knot. The boots she let me steal go halfway up my calves and I have these massive funky red earrings on. Thanks to her, I feel confident that I'll fit right into the scene.

We arrive at the venue and I step out of the car into the chilly night's air. I shiver and wrap my jacket tighter around me.

Indigo grabs Jade's hand and the two of them skip towards the venue together, looking behind to make sure I'm following. I smile at them. It's obvious how much they care for each other. Lately, I've been feeling like Patty doesn't care that much for me. What? With all his ignorance of my texts and calls. I just have to keep reminding myself that he's busy and that it's nothing against me. Doesn't make me miss him any less, though.

We walk down the narrow hallway to the main room. It's already crowded, people's bodies are mashed up against each other everywhere even though the show hasn't started. I stand at the door and freeze, there are way too many people in here for my comfort. Even just seeing them all clustered together makes my palms sweat.

I take in the scene, breathing in the thick musky air. Jade and Indigo immediately leap to the dancefloor where a mash-up of some sort is being played.

Wanting to be as far away from all the people as possible, I head over to the bar and grab a stool. Seeing as this is an underage event, there is no alcohol of course, so I order a mocktail. The bartender serves it and I pull the cherry off the top and suck on it slowly, admiring the vivid sky blue colour of the drink.

It's then that I hear a husky voice in my ear. I jerk around to see a tall boy I've never seen before staring at me.

"Hi gorgeous," he says with a smirk. I slide further back on my seat and watch in disgust as he licks his lips and eyes me up and down. Who does he think he is?

I turn away without responding, hoping he'll get the message. He doesn't and instead takes a seat next to me and I cringe. I look the other way but I can feel his beady eyes boring into me.

To my relief, it's at this moment the band starts coming onto the stage. I take the opportunity down the rest of my drink in one long sip and then quickly rush to the dancefloor to stand beside Jade and Indigo. Luckily, the boy stays at the bar and doesn't pursue me any further. I lean in close to them, my breath hitching.

"Everything okay?" Jade asks me and I nod. 

"Yeah, just some gross guy at the bar," I stumble over my words as I take in the group around me.

"Ah, sorry about that. You do get a bit of that here, teenage boys and desperation. You can only really avoid it when you come here with someone." At that, she turns her head to kiss Indigo's cheek. She pushes her head away but you can see the adoration in her eyes. I make a mental note to bring Patty here with me next time. I stare kinda vacantly to the side and Jade grabs my arm, "Are you sure you're okay? You seem kinda pale."

"It's just, this crowd is kinda big." Seems like I'm still not over it, even after the performance. She gives me a hug and lets go, looking at me intently.