11. if basset hounds could make wishes

I'm sitting in the coffee shop today, waiting for June to arrive. He texted me yesterday saying he was lonely without his best friend and I immediately felt guilty. The past three weeks flew by with working on the set, practicing lines and in every other spare second I had, I was with Patty. I was ignoring June without even realising it.

We agreed to meet up in this coffee shop. It's practically the only one I go to because it has no clocks, mirrors, everyone wears gloves so there is no fear of germs and it's always relatively quiet. He's already ten minutes late but it's no surprise, so I start playing my game to pass the time.

There's a teenage girl with green strands in her hair a few tables over. She must have read too many dystopian sci-fi novels and now she has some rebellious streak and wants to fight against the system.

There's a man too. He's trying to be a writer but he always leaves his projects mid-way through and starts another. He has yet to publish anything yet and his bills are piling up. He's not even sure if his card will be accepted or declined when he tries to pay for his bagel.

And then there's the woman in front of me, she has on a long flowy dress and a beaded necklace and a bandana on her forehead. She must be really into health and organics. I decide she's must be trying to purchase her own farm in the countryside and go off the grid. She's on her way to a real estate agent now.

"Good luck with finding your new house in the country!" I tell her as I walk past to order. She just gives me a very strange look and doesn't respond. Huh, maybe my prediction was wrong?

I order and go back to the table. I scan the room and I see June has just walked in. June with his messy mop of black curls falling over his eyes like usual. June with his freckles and speckled brown eyes and a clueless expression on his face. He's such a doofus.

"Over here!" I call and his face lights up when he sees me.

"I missed you," he says softly and I slide him over a hot chocolate. I knew that was his favourite so I already ordered it from him.

"It's only been four days!" I laugh.

"I know, it's just you're always hanging out with Patty now and every day you're in the hall painting with him. I feel like I hardly see you anymore." I take a gulp of my drink. I can see his point.

"It's just that we need to get the set painted on time and now that I have a role, I need to practice in all of my spare time."

"Nah, I get it," he mumbles.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to blow you off. But you are my best friend and that won't change, alright?"

"Alright," he says smiling and taking a sip. When he puts his cup down he has a ring of it around his mouth. I can't help but smirk.

"What?" he asks grabbing a napkin self-consciously when he sees me staring.

"Here," I say and take a deep sip out of my cup as well, making sure it leaves a ring. He laughs and reaches over to wipe it off for me.

"I love you," he says. My heart is singing.

"Love you too," I laugh. We leave the coffee shop and walk down the street together. We have a lot to catch up on.

"So it sounds like you and Patty are getting pretty close then...?" he glances at me quickly and then looks away. I feel my cheeks go a little pink, I'm not usually shy or embarrassed like this around June. It's probably because I know he won't approve.

"Yeah, I guess so. I just don't think I'm ready for it," I say.

He sighs, "Any guy would be lucky to have you." He mumbles it under his breath and I'm not sure if I heard correctly.