06. glow in the dark stars

"Wait did you know that the colour red makes you more attractive?" Jade asks. She is lying on my bed, on her back with her head hanging off the side. She's been reading these women's health magazines religiously the past few months and she's constantly spouting off knowledge she's learnt from them to me.

"No, I did not know that," I say in a bored voice. I've been listening to these so-called facts for the last hour an a half. "How is any of that stuff even true?" I honestly don't trust any of the people who write those articles. What with their blonde extensions and airbrushed skin? Please.

"It has to be! Otherwise, it wouldn't be in a magazine!" she cries. I just roll my eyes at her. The magazines are giving her some interesting fashion tips too. Today she has on some kind of purple punk skirt and a chunky belt with a neon green tank top. I could never imagine wearing that in a million years but somehow it works on her.

"Okay, but you didn't answer my question," I say.

"What?" She asks dropping the magazine on the floor and rolling over, "I didn't hear it."

"I asked what you thought I should do about Patty?"

"I don't know. It's up to you."

"You are so not being helpful!" I cry. She glances down at the magazine on the ground again.

"Wait, holy shit Lavender. We both have to start eating more pineapples." I have no idea what she's on about this time.

"What's this one about?" my voice is drenched in sarcasm.

"Seriously. I'll whisper it in your ear." She does and my eyes widen. She might need that tip but I can tell you right now it does not apply to me whatsoever.

"Jade, Patty - opinion," I say again, trying to get her to respond properly. I need her help on this!

"Okay fine. I think you were being a little judgmental. We all know how the girls spread rumours and from what you've said, he actually doesn't seem like a complete jerk." What?

"You have got to be kidding me," I say. I wanted her to side with me.

"You wanted my opinion!" she cries. "You know I'm right and I know that you're just too stubborn to admit it." It's frustrating how on the nail she is. 

"So what if I am?" I retort sticking my tongue out at her. She laughs. 

"Take a chance," she says and winks before jumping off the bad and flouncing over to the dresser. I stare after her. Take a chance at what? Being friends with him? That I'm willing to have a go at. I grab my phone and take a deep breath before messaging Patty.

'Sorry for getting mad at you. You didn't do anything wrong. Want to hang out on Wednesday?'

Jade and I ending up working on our science projects for a bit. Her elephants are actually more interesting then I gave her credit for. Even she agrees that my frogs are really pretty though. That's how they got the name 'glass frogs' because they look transparent. It's going to be really sad if the species dies out.

She heads home at around six o'clock and I get started on my homework for literature. It's making my brain into stir-fry. 

I don't get very far before a soft knock to my door disturbs me. It's my mum. She wants me to come and play scrabble with her and dad. 

I oblige and I end up winning. My best word was "klutzy" on a triple word score and I scored 66 points. I'm very proud of it.

Wednesday rolls around faster than expected. Sometimes it feels that way, like the days are just flying past me and I'm too far up in the clouds to notice.

My inner scepticist scowls at me when I decide to wear red. I don't know why I do it and I try to tell myself that it's just a coincidence. 

I've told my parents about Patty now and they have gone batshit crazy. First of all, they wouldn't believe me that it wasn't a date and that I was just hanging out with a boy as friends. Then, they couldn't get over the fact that my first 'date' wasn't even with June.