15. brush your teeth

I feel my heart leap out of my chest and I stand up slowly sliding my door open. He's there. On the stoop, leaning his shoulder against the wall. I try to stammer out a 'hello' but it comes out as a squeak. He grabs my hand and pulls me over and I immediately melt into him. I never understood that phrase before.

He smiles down at me and I feel his breath on his cheek. This is it. The thought of germs swirls around in my the mind and I squeeze my eyes shut, pulling away ever so slightly. Why can't I just get over this?

"What's wrong?" he asks quietly. 

"Germs," I tell him. "I have a fear of germs."

"Oh, is that all?" he asks with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"All?" I cry out incredulously, "What do you mean all?"

"I just thought you must secretly find me repulsive."

"Wait," I say with a sudden bolt of inspiration. I grab his hand and lead him into the bathroom. My bathroom, of course, it's the only one in which the mirror is fully covered. I crouch down and open the cupboard, grabbing out a toothbrush. 

I have an endless supply of toothbrushes under there because I need to use a new one every week. If I keep the same one any longer than that, I'm afriad it'll be covered in germs and make me sick and all of them have little caps to protect them. I can't have them just sitting in the open air. Not in a bathroom, what with all the disgusting things in the air? No way. 

I pass it to him, "Here," I say. "Could you please brush your teeth first?" He laughs but complies. I sit on the edge of the bathtub and rest my pale cheeks against my palms. He finishes brushing and turns to face me. 

"Good now?"

"Your tongue," I say.

"What?"

"You need to brush your tongue."

"Brush my tongue?" A look of confusion passes over his face.

"Yeah." I smile. He just shrugs and does as I say. Next, I grab out the mouthwash and make him rinse with that too. I'm afraid I've killed any romantic tension we had. 

"Okay, so now is it good?" he asks smiling. 

"Perfect," I laugh. He pulls me in by my waist and grins. I lean into him easily, glad to have the worry of germs gone from my mind. The next thing I know, his lips are pressed against mine. He kisses me right there in the middle of my bathroom. I feel dizzy.

Everything goes hazy and I can hardly think. He has one of his hands tangled up in my hair and I run my fingers down his arms. He tastes like peppermint and oranges and sunshine and fairy floss. I didn't know kissing could be like this.

I pull back and he runs his hand through my hair. It feels like I've been hit by a bolt of lightning.

"Am I going to have to do that every time I want to kiss you?" he asks in bemusement. 

"Yes," I giggle back. I'm laughing about it but it's honestly true. There is no way I'm ever going to kiss him when he has germs all over his mouth. 

"It's worth it for you," he says, winking. "Goodnight then, Lavender." His voice is husky and I can't even gather myself enough to reply. He winks and me and disappears around the corner. I stumble to my room feeling frazzled. I'm in a dreamy haze and I collapse on my bed.

My first instinct is to call June and gush to him about it but as soon as I grab my phone I realise what a bad choice that would be. After those drawings, I just don't know anymore. Instead, I call Jade. She screams and soon as I tell her.