36. house of mirrors

Of course, we leave anyway. The fire slowly burnt out but we didn't stoke it. We let it fade to ashes as we sat on the picnic blanket and looked to the stars. We walked back to the car, hand in hand and I felt my eyes start to droop again. I looked out the window at the grass flashing by my window and the endless stretch of road ahead of us. We drove a little further up and then June made a U-turn, going back in the direction towards our home. I felt a small rush of disappointment rise up in me. 

"Are we leaving?" I ask, sitting up again. He shakes his head. 

"Nah. The last stop is just back in town."

I wrack my brain for what it could be, I still have the fear of mirrors, heights and crowds to face. What place could possibly encompass all three? I come up empty. I pout my lips and turn to June. 

"Please, can you just tell me the last place? I really wanna know," I say. Really, I'm just seeing if it will be worth me staying awake for. He laughs. 

"So impatient, but okay. It's the Summer Lights Carnival." As soon as the words have left his lips, I break into a smile. I remember that place so clearly. The fairy lights strung up and the wild cries of children, sweet aroma from cinnamon doughnuts at the vendors and circus folks dressed up and people dancing on the clipped grass. I stop going after I turned ten. The last time, I had a panic attack from the crowd and the look of the rides sent waves of nausea to the pit of my stomach. I knew it was ruined for me forever. But maybe not anymore. 

"There's one thing I need to do first," I tell him. I pull out my phone and text Jade. 

Hey! What are you and Indigo up to tonight?

Nothing much. 

Did you wanna meet June and I at the carnival?

Wait. You're going to the carnival? Since when is that your scene?

Since today :P

Haha. Okay, we'll meet you there. 

Can't wait!

We pull up and climb out of the car. A massive archway is strung up with masses of red and blue tangled lights. I walk under it with my eyes fixed upward.  As soon as we step in, it's an assault to the sense. The bright lights scream at me and dance around in neon dresses and sing songs of excitement and energy. The rides spin like a hypnotist swirl and the people. So many people.. I'm immediately grateful when I feel June's hand slip into mine. 

If you look closely, there's beauty in the chaos. The lights can be little hummingbirds dipping and diving across the canvas of the sky. The rides can be Chinese paper lanterns, bopping up and down in the breeze and floating gently. The people turn to anamorphic blobs in my vision and I breathe in deeply. I'm feeling a lot better already. 

My phone buzzes. 

I see you!

It wouldn't have taken Jade long to get here at all, seeing as they were probably already somewhere nearby in town. I turn around to see her walking towards the arch. She is leaning on Indigo and the two of them are giggling. They rush over and wrap me in a hug. 

"So good to see you again," Indigo says in high spirits. Jade smiles at me and whispers in my ear. 

"It's our two-month anniversary," she says. Two months? Already? I grin at her. 

"Congratulations! I'm so happy for you."

Her smile grows wider and looking at the two of them, I can see they're practically glowing. Their happiness is just about radiating off them.