end

later

I stand out the front of the school, leaning against the gate. It's just another Tuesday. I see June walk out of the building and my hearts leaps into my throat. I almost forgot how much I missed him. 

He walks past, glancing up and to give me a small smile. He doesn't stop. 

"June?" I say. He turns. 

"Yeah?"

"Could we...walk together?" 

He nods his head and I fall into step beside him. 

"It's been a while since we've done this," he says quietly. I bite my lip. 

"It has been."

He looks down at the ground as we walk in silence. There are an infinity of things unsaid between us. I reach my hand into my pockets and pull out the crumpled list. Thirteen lines. Thirteen Fears. 

"So I have this list," I say looking him in the eyes. His milky, hazel eyes. A million and one memories slam into me. 

"Lavender, don't," he says, looking away. "I don't wanna see it."

"Please?" I ask. He must hear the urgency in my voice because he takes it. His eyes scan the page.

"What? What is it? I'm not in the mood for games."

"Just look," I say. 

He suddenly stops. He drops the list and it flutters down to the pavement like a fallen leaf. 

The thirteenth fear is neatly ruled out. I see the tiny letters I scribbled underneath it. 

June, I'm in love with you and I'm ready to face my fear. 

I smile. 

He smiles. 

And his lips touch mine.