Chapter Four

You followed Tōshirō out. He walked rather fast and you had to jog to keep up.

"Nice to meet you sir. It is an honor to be under your supervision!" You tried your best to break the ice.

"Likewise. Follow me." Captain Hitsugaya snapped back.
Geez. What was this guys problem?
Your immediate  reaction was to shut down and be quiet. You simply followed and obeyed after this.
Although  you were intrigued by this little man, you ruled out in your head that perhaps staying quiet would be better. You were always an observer rather than an action taker. He didn't seem very friendly.

"These are your living quarters.  Most of your house was ruined. The soul society, as a welcome gift, got you plenty of basic necessities. The closet has several kimonos for different occasions, there are toiletries, and some food. When the time comes, me or Rangiku will show you to the store."

"Who's Rangiku?"

"My lieutenant." He said, seeming rather annoyed by even the mere thought of her.

"What's she like?"

"I advice you stay away. Although she's a wonderful woman, she tends to slack on her paperwork and spend most of her time drinking sake."
You felt a pang of jealousy in your heart after he called her a wonderful woman. You had NO reason to feel this way, yet you still did.

"Well.... thank you." You whispered.

You could swear you saw his eyes soften for a second, before they got rough again.

"I'll be going now. Starting tomorrow, I'll show you around. Please get comfy and have some rest. You've had a long day."
Just like that, Tōshirō was gone.
You took a long cold shower to reflect on the past few days. While sitting in the shower, you realized that you hurt more than you let on. You missed your mom, your dad, and being home.
Worst of all, you let your sister die and didn't do anything.
You cried and cried and cried.
Before you knew it, something felt suffocating.
It's like the air around you grew thick.

You turned the shower off, and managed to crawl out.
You pulled yourself up, after a great deal of effort.
Drying yourself off, you slipped a light lavender kimono on. You fell back on the floor.
You were struggling to breathe and your heart ached.

"What's going on?!" Said the familiar minty voice?
He, too, looked like he was slightly struggling. His eyes softened when he saw your tears.
"Your spiritual pressure is sky rocketing! I need you to calm down please."
Before you knew it, you were passed out.

You woke up to birds chirping. A giant yawn escaped your mouth. After sitting up, you looked around.
You immediately grabbed your chest, remembering not being able to breath yesterday. Fortunately, you soon realized you could breathe. You scanned the room, and your eyes focused on something white in the corner.
Not completely focused, you rubbed your eyes. Captain Hitsugaya?
You pushed a scream back down your throat before you woke him up. Recalling last nights events, he must have stayed to look after you.
Maybe he wasn't so mean after all.
You tiptoed to the kitchen and look in your cabinets. There was some watermelon, and a loaf of bread.  There were also various vegetables.
You brewed some coffee and cut up some watermelon. That seemed like a fitting light breakfast.
You laid it all out on the only bamboo slab you could find, and walked it out.

As you brought the cups out, Tōshirō's eyes fluttered open. He threw his hands in the air as he stretched and yawned.

"Ow... my back." He grunted. He had fallen asleep sitting against the wall. It didn't look very comfortable.
"Good morning!" You softly spoke.
Tōshirō's eyes bulged as he remembered where he was.  A deep red blush creeped along his cheeks.
He soon looked down at the coffee and watermelon.
"Thanks... for last night. I don't know how to control these things. It hurt pretty bad. I made you some breakfast as a thank you though!"
Tōshirō contemplated you for a few seconds then smiled for a small time. Although it was immediately replaced with his usual scowl, you felt inwardly accomplished for seeing his smile.
"Watermelon is my favorite." He stated simply, then dug in.
You guys shared your breakfast over silence. Although it was quiet, you could tell he appreciated the gesture. All of your feelings from yesterday seemed to vanished, and you had a small sense of hope.
After getting dressed in the bathroom, you followed Tōshirō out for your first official day as a soul reaper.