Chapter Seven

You woke up super early the next day and got dressed in one of your new kimonos. This one was light blue with white accents. After putting your hair up, you traveled to the office expecting more paperwork.

Tōshirō was sitting at his desk already scribbling by the time you got there. Upon looking up at you, he said nothing but stared.
"Hello, Tōshirō." You mumbled.
"That's Captain Hitsugaya to you!" He scolded.
You could feel the heat rising in your cheeks because you were so embarrassed.
"Sorry, Captain Hitsugaya..." you whispered.

"No paperwork today. Today we will begin testing for your essence and capabilities." He vaguely explained.

"What do you mean, essence?" You inquired.

"When you come into my office, what do you notice? Any particular smells, temperatures, auras..?" He asked you with a knowing look.

"It's cold, and minty."

"Exactly. My powers are ice related. And mint is my auras odor. Every soul reaper has one. You don't pick, you're born with it. Rangiku's, if you noticed, is Jasmine and the color pink. We already think we know what yours is but we would like to test some more." He explained more thoroughly.

He got up and headed towards the door, motioning for you to come along. You followed, eyes on the floor. You felt intimidated around him.

He brought you to a large, empty canyon.

"These are training grounds. There isn't any vegetation to ruin and it is dry and open. Step back please."

You did as told.

"Hyōrinmaru!!" Tōshirō got into a solid stance and yelled this. To your utter amazement, a giant ice dragon came out.

"See? Ice. Mint."
The entire field began to smell of mint. You were magnetized by the beauty. While staring in awe, Tōshirō vanished before your own eyes.

"Here." He whispered in your ears.
He began his assault. He charged after you with a giant pillar of ice, a face of pure determination on.

"What are you doing? Are you crazy!?" You screeched, running for your life.

"You better defend yourself, third seat!" Tōshirō teased you, a wild scowl on his face.
Before you knew it, his sword cut your sleeve off.
"Channel your own Zanpakutō. You have one, you just need to become it's master. This Zanpakutō is what helped you live through the hollow attack." He yelled while flashing back and forth around you.

"Rain down!" He yelled and suddenly the dragon charged you.
You were scared now, and could feel adrenaline beginning to pump through your veins. The ice dragon screeched a terrifying sound as it approached you.
"Watch out!" Tōshirō yelled, eyes wide when he noticed you stopped moving.

"Say my name. Rosa. Sangre."
What?
"Say it. NOW!"
A masculine voice resonated within you, but you couldn't tell from where.

"ROSA SANGRE!" You screamed in fear.
Everything went black for a few, then came the ribbons.
Hundreds of ribbons, all white, floated around you. There was one red one amongst them all.
Tōshirō, and the training grounds, were nowhere around.
"Catch me if you can!" Yelled the deep voice.

The red ribbon tugged and began to move further away. You started to run, but you were no competition.

"Let me help you. This is.. flash step." Without control, you began to hover from pin point to pin point. You were so fast!

In a few seconds, you snagged the red ribbon and pulled with all your might.

"Ouch!"

Suddenly, a huge wave of red came crashing towards you. Your flash step was no chance, you were immediately submerged.

"Open your eyes. And mouth."

Was he crazy!?

You started by peeking open your eyes. To your surprise, you were in the red liquid just floating along. Roses slowly floated by, red ones only. The thorns on the stems were huge, which frightened you slightly. At the same time, you were enthralled by their beauty.

"You're beautiful!" You exclaimed.
Your hand covered your mouth once you realized what you had done.

"You can breathe and talk fine. I wouldn't have told you to if you weren't safe. I am Rosa Sangre, your Zanpakutō. My primary goal is to protect you. When you're sad, this whole world floods like this. When you're happy, it's nothing but a giant field of beautiful roses. Your parents left you with me."

"My.. parents.." you whispered, looking down at your shaking hands.

"Time is suspended in here. Please, swim to the top, and break through. I will show you things from there to beat this guys ass!" He laughed like a maniac.

You urgently began to swim up. Roses kept slapping into you, their thorns snatching at your kimono and your legs.
You felt determined, knowing your parents were behind you. Before you knew it, your hand reached up to air, and you broke through the blood sea.

White flashed in your eyes and you were back right in front of Tōshirō's giant ice dragon. You instinctively used the flash step Rosa had showed you.
Tōshirō looked surprised for a second, then charged again.
"Say Tsunami del Sangre, Rosa!"

You did as told.
Before you knew it, you were riding a giant red wave of blood. It was almost like you were surfing, but on nothing. Just floating along.

Tōshirō stopped his ice dragon and just stared in awe. He hovered above the wave to narrowly avoid it.
After the wave passed,  the floor was littered with roses and rose pedals.

You fell to the floor softly, and realized you had a beautiful black sword, with roses embroidered in the handle/shaft . It was beautiful.

You put Rosa del Sangre away.

"When the hollow attacked  you, your Zanpakutō saved your life. When we came to retrieve you, there were roses everywhere. This perplexed us. Now, I understand." Tōshirō admires the roses.
"Your Zanpakutō is beautiful.." he whispered.

"Thanks."